• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help, Need Centerboard E25,1974

W7TOC

HI TO ALL ON THE EXCHANGE. I just found a very nice 1974 Ericson 25. The only problems are broken mast and no centerboard. The mast will be easy to replace, but the centerboard is a different story. I was wondering if anyone here can help me get measurements so that I can make one, or knows someone who could make one for me. This is such a beautiful bost and it will be a pity to see it scraped for parts if I can not get it fixed.:esad:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely

Rick

rshumway

Inactive Member
some news, is it good news?

Hey there, I have a 75 25, with a swing keel, I am about to pull it out of the water, i can give u mearements if need, let me know, these boat are NOt worth trowing away, trust me, i got salaveged the on ei have now, and it was worth the time and money put toward it. When i upgrade, i wont sell it. drop a line

chip50

Member II
center board/swing keel

hi, i have an ericson 25,,,,i down loaded from this site an owners manual, pretty much complete and it said that you dont relly need it to sail....but that if it was used to be sure not to run aground or drag it sideways because it could dislodge from the steel pin holding it on... mine weighs about 150.lbs per the book i got....i have not sailed the boat yet but have had it out by motor....i have yet to let it down,,,but i could be wrong....you could dwn load the manual too and see what it says ....chip

Steve Swann

Member III
Centerboard Solution Forthcoming

We have an E25 c/b boat that we are taking to Lake Mead next Tuesday (we were going to Mexico with our Nor'sea 27 for the month, but circumstances changed). I am planning to remove my centerboard after the trip and rework it over the winter - or build a new one that is a bit more modern and slippery based on the old one's dimensions. I will make drawings, photos, weights, etc. early in December for those interested.

I will also create a photo library and notes of the raising and lowering the mast along with the hardware dimensions I am using. I have never liked the prescribed method for the E25. FYI, I have changed over to the way we raise and lower our Nor'sea mast which is a much heavier affair and 34' long - er, tall:egrin: It is a little more complex to set up this way, but my bp tends to be a little less and my heart rate stays under the having-a-stroke-possibility. It is absolutely effortless since abandoning the main sheet assembly and using the primary winches instead of the halyard winch.

PS No smart-a** comments about my crab-crusher, please!

Steve Swann
Seahorse
Boise, ID

Steve Swann

Member III
Crab Crushers Defined...

A crab crusher looks a lot like a Nor'sea 27 laden with a month's worth of supplies for the Sea of Cortez (about 12,000 lbs. sans trailer!). Seahorse, our E25 feels like a dingy by comparison.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Sorry everyone, off the subject but.....Your Ericson may be smaller but I bet it can put the whoopass on the Nor Sea big time for speed. As long as you don't have do do any ice breaking.

Bob in Va

Member III
centerboard info

I have a full size tracing and template for the E25 board and will be happy to make a copy and mail it to you for shipping costs. I've built several of these boards from scratch, and it is a pretty significant project if you do it right. Some replacement boards I've seen are pretty basic and probably do the job OK for cruising and casual day sailing. If you want to shape the board well and ballast it, etc., the process is more involved. My email address is in the owner's directory under E23-2 boats - boat name is TigerEye.

chart_sailor

E25 CB changes made

Purchased an E25 late in 07. One of the first things I did was add a double and a tripple block inside the compression area where the lift line attaches to the cb cable. I now have a 6:1 purchase BEFORE the line ever leaves the mast hole. Replaced the on deck wench w/ a turning block so as to run the line to the cockpit. If I have gloves on, I can actually RAISE the CB without even using the wench.

I'll post other photos and changes as I improve the boat this year.

chart_sailor

CB raising

OK, looks like it posted this time.

Had an existing line on hand and started by adding a double block, then later moved the double up top replacing the single, and installed a tripple at the bottom (cb cable end). since the cable end needs to drop "into" the fiberglass hull trunk that comes up above the water line, and the block was too big, I installed a stainless extension between the cable and tripple block.

I think the line might be as long as 30'. I also measured w/ keel up, keel down and marked the half-way point. I leave it in that position quite often when just motoring on the river or sailing downwind.

chart_sailor

other changes

The big one was spending $ on a new harken roller furling and a new furling headsail.
Also had the main cut to be loose footed and now have an outhaul that runs back to mast and down, to cockpit.

Installed two "triple" sets of spinlock stoppers, so the
main halyard,
CB lift,
main outhaul
main toping lift
main downhaul/preventer
one reefing line.

will all run to one side of cockpit or the other (used the wench that was for the CB on the other side, so now have a wench on both sides of hatch.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Jay- It sounds like you have really put some thought into sail control. All that you have added will make everything easier for you. Back to my question. With the 6:1 purchase how many feet of line do you winch up from fully extended down to completely retracted? I have not recieved an email from you. Thank you for your time and congradulations on your new boat.

misscusa

replacement boards

I have a full size tracing and template for the E25 board and will be happy to make a copy and mail it to you for shipping costs. I've built several of these boards from scratch, and it is a pretty significant project if you do it right. Some replacement boards I've seen are pretty basic and probably do the job OK for cruising and casual day sailing. If you want to shape the board well and ballast it, etc., the process is more involved. My email address is in the owner's directory under E23-2 boats - boat name is TigerEye.

bob, where did you find replacement boards for e25? mine is in disrepair, and i will just do day sailing with it at first, so i might start with a manufactured one. thanks
misscusa, charleston,sc

davisr

Member III
Misscusa,

Welcome to the Forum. If you're looking for a quick replacement of your centerboard, and you don't mind dropping around $1000, then IdaSailor is your one and only option. As Scott (Wysailor) said in the other posting that you made, others have opted for this service. If you call up there, however, you might want to remind them of the bad experience that former E25 owner, Kringe, had with them, just to make sure they don't make the same mistake (of putting no ballast in the board). If I remember correctly, they corrected the problem at their own expense, but it was big pain for the owner, hauling his boat twice, etc.

I you’re looking for a solution that would entail more work, but probably a little less money, then you could make your own. I have a detailed full-scale drawing of the E25 centerboard. I made careful measurements before demolishing mine in the fall. In the attached pictures you can see the new carbon steel spine. You can also see the mold I constructed in accordance with the shape of the old board. I still need to pour the foam, shape the foil, glass, and paint. That second phase of the project awaits me in the spring.

If you are completely missing you old board, and you want to build one yourself, then I would follow the technique used by E23 owner, Gordon, in the thread below. He put a new stainless steel spine between two pieces of G10 (layered fiberglass), if I remember correctly. The reason why I would suggest this technique instead of my own (which essentially replicates the original board), is that it would be easier. Also I should say that if your are missing your original board, then you are also missing the two slabs of lead that fit on either side of the carbon steel spine. I'm reusing my lead. These pieces of lead (wedge-shaped and just the right width) would be difficult to replicate if you are missing them.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?5545-E-25-s-and-E-23-s-Centerboard

This is a lengthy response to your question, but I thought I'd put all this out there for your sake and for the sake of others now and in the future who may be weighing their options. You're welcome to trace/copy my drawing if you'd like. Good to know there's another E25 owner in Charleston.

Regards,
Roscoe
E25, 226

Attachments

• e25centerboardcontourgauge.jpg
    e25centerboardcontourgauge.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 46
  • e25centerboardDEMO.jpg
    e25centerboardDEMO.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 52
  • e25centerboardnewspine.jpg
    e25centerboardnewspine.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 43
  • e25centerboardspinewithinmold.jpg
    e25centerboardspinewithinmold.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 50
  • E25CenterboardMoldAndScaleDrawing.jpg
    E25CenterboardMoldAndScaleDrawing.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 47

misscusa

e25 parts

roscoe, what fantastic info! thank you so much. not too lengthy, great.
i may be crazy, but am toying with the idea of making one. i have a part of the old board, but not all of it. i do have the lead.
i am in charleston and definately want to talk to you more about this.
caroline

davisr

Member III
Some might find me to be misguided in my destruction of my old board, and I will say that I put a lot of thought and planning into this project before taking the chisel and cutting wheel to it. If you look at the pictures on the thread I pasted in my posting above you'll see that my initial plan, 2.5 years ago, was simply to patch up the old board. I ground off the old bottom paint, and then I decided to let her sit for a while indoors to fully dry out. After all, the boat had been in the water all of her life, and I had no idea how long the cracks had existed. It was obvious that there had been earlier patch jobs made, especially around the pin area. At any rate, a lengthy home improvement project ensued. I forgot about the board and let it sit for about 2 years while I worked on my house and worked on other projects on the boat from time to time. When I finally got around to focusing on the board again this past fall, I was disturbed to find that over the two year period the the small cracks had developed into big cracks which had distorted the board and in my opinion rendered it useless. After making many detailed measurements and drawings I tore into the board. What I found was quite astounding. Even after two years of sitting up in a climate controlled setting, the steel on both ends of the board was still wet. Moreover, I discovered that all the steel in the vicinity of the pin hole was completely rusted away. This meant that the only thing holding the 150 lb board in place was a thin layer of foam and cloth. I was immediately pleased with my decision, since I saw that this was obviously the reason why other E25 owners have lost their boards while under way. Read, for example the postings by former E25 owner "Kringe." My advice to other E25 owners who opt to hold on to their original boards that have split (and allowed water intrusion in the pin area) is to replicate the modification made by Rob Hessenius in the thread I attached in the posting above. Rob strengthened the pin area with metal plates on either side of the board. Rob advised me to make this modification 2.5 years ago, and I probably would have followed his advice if I had not gotten side tracked with my house. I think anyone who does not make this modification will end of losing the board.

As far as the approach I have made to building an entirely new board to original specs is concerned, I can say that the total cost will end up being not much more than $200. I used scrap carbon steel, and ordered two-part foam from US Composites. The most burdensome task has been the making of the tedious measurements and the building of the mold. Why am I going to all this trouble instead of just making a flat-style board? I'm aiming to replicate the foil shape of the original so that the board will provide lift and thus better pointing ability.

Attached are a few more pictures. You can see the rust damaged area around the pin hole, and you can see the moisture that still remained on the steel after two years worth of drying time.

Regards,
Roscoe

Attachments

• E25CenterboardDetailRustDamagedPinArea.jpg
    E25CenterboardDetailRustDamagedPinArea.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 57
  • E25CenterboardLeadPlate.jpg
    E25CenterboardLeadPlate.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 49
  • E25CenterboardRustDamagedPinHoleArea.jpg
    E25CenterboardRustDamagedPinHoleArea.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 54
  • E25CenterboardSplit.jpg
    E25CenterboardSplit.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 50
  • E25CenterboardWetAfterTwoYearsDryingTime.jpg
    E25CenterboardWetAfterTwoYearsDryingTime.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 46

Dave Kellogg

Do you still have E25 Centerboard.I know it has been a while dave@kellogg-rice.com

Do you still have E25 Centerboard.I know it has been a while dave@kellogg-rice.com 0r call 941-661-2201