• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder post leak stopped E32-3, easy!

newgringo

Member III
Ever since we got our E32-3 there has been a salt water leak past the rudder post stuffing box. Lots of salt crystals in the boat. After the last haulout I pumped a ton of grease into the cavity between the rudder post lower bushing and stuffing box. To my pleasant surprise no more leak. The hard part was drilling a hole and installing a new Zerc fitting (the factory zerc was corroded beyond use) to be able to pump in the grease. And of course making sure the new Zerc was above the water level and not drilling into the bushing etc. The photo shows where I put the new Zerc fitting. Nice easy fix.

Attachments

• RudderZerc01.jpg
    RudderZerc01.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,374

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Could it be that your rudder stuffing box was leaking and needing repacking? It's good that it doesn't leak any more, but I wonder if repacking the rudder stuffing box might be a more permanent solution?

Frank

newgringo

Member III
Frank. Of course you are 100% correct. The stuffing box does need repacking. But that is easier said than done. Notice that the steering quadrants are right on top and would need to be removed to get at the packing to replace it. Not a chore I relish if I can avoid it. So I am happy as a clam at high tide for now.
Jerry

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Ericson 32-3 Rudder Post Leak

You can also tighten down slightly on the adjustment screws. I think I used a nickel as a guage and it did stop the leak. Dan Callen Ericson32-3 Andiamo.

yasselin

Rudder stuffing box

I had the same problem with my rudder stuffing box on my Ericson 32-2. I had to remove the quadrant to have access to the stuffing box. And than ... I removed the rudder to see how it was built. I putted some epoxy with high density filler in the bottom part of the tube and put the rudder back in place with a new packing. The boat is going back in the water in a few days and I hope it will solve the problem. The space between the quadrant and the top of the stuffing box is so small that you have to remove the quadrant to replace the packing. If it's still leak, I will try the "greace solution".

Yves