• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Nav Light on Bow Pulpit Question

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I am relocating the bow lights to the pulpit and am wondering about how to seal the holes I will have to drill (or, figure out a way to make sure it all drains out somehow). The wires will enter at the top and exit on the aft stanchion base on the port side. If any water gets in it will travel down the wires, and into the boat (ok) but some will inevitably travel down the other side and get trapped. I have a few thoughts but figured I would solicit some opinions from people who have done this. Or haven't but might have some good ideas.

Here are some shots of the setup.

Thanks!
Doug

001.jpg

007-1.jpg

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Put the hole on the bottom and seal with a daub of silicone. On the base, make sure to drill a hole in the side to allow the water to escape if any gets in there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On our prior Niagara 26, I moved the red/green up from the ancient Perko "eyebrow" lights on the deck.
I was concerned about damage from hitting pilings and located the new light under the pulpit and back about 4 or 5 inches. I found a piece of ss tubing and cut and shaped the ends with a small grinder to match the inside curve of the pulpit front. Then bored a hole thru the inside of the cross piece would be against the rail on one side. Another hole for wiring on the center bottom. The welding shop threaded a steel wire thru the new piece and into and out the base of the side tube. Then they wire-welded it in place.
The new Aquasignal bracket was also welded into place on the new cross piece.
I even had them add a couple of ss short rods above the light fixture, between curved front and the new cross piece, for clipping on the spinnaker halyard.

It all turned into kind of a "project", but the result really looked (and worked) great.

Your solution will work equally well, but be careful not to bump into anything.
:rolleyes:

Loren

ps: I was going to comment that the cat is giving you a skeptical look, but then most cats do that all the time! :)

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Just a thought about the holes drilled: (you may've already done this; can't tell from the pix) .. it's a good idea to use neoprene grommets to reduce the holes' circumferance, helping to seal the opening around the wires. It not only looks cleaner but helps prevent water ingress.

Available in different sizes for cheap at your local chandlery.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Doug,

As organized as you seem to be I'm sure you're are already thinking about it but make sure you take in to account everything you will do at the bow. Anchor, asymmetrical spinnaker, whisker pole (sliding on top of pulpit)? I think I would hang it under the pulpit.

I see you've got the standard issue E27 cat :)

Attachments

• ivan.jpg
    ivan.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 478

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Agreed. I would weld a stainless bracket under the top rail to attach
it. Less vulnerable and better looking location.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, I definitely see the benefits of putting it under the pulpit. I am going to have our local metalworker fab something up for it. And of course I'll find the neoprene grommet and maybe drill some small relief holes at the base of each stanchion. I really hate the idea of having a bunch of water sitting inside the stanchions forever.

As for the standard issue E27 cat, I call her the "inspector" and she is definitely giving me skeptical look. Of course she is correct. She likes to inspect my projects in the middle of the night and seems to think that they need to be tested for strength by dumping them on the ground with a mighty crash. Quite endearing...

Thanks for the advice all!

Doug

robjpowell

Member II
Not sure if what we are seeing is the 'standard issue E27' cat or, instead the 'mid-70's' issue E boat cat :egrin:. Meet our e35-2 version

Attachments

• DSC00402-2_edited.jpg
    DSC00402-2_edited.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 542