• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electric Motor on E35

msc1212

Member II
I was just perusing through Ebay and came across a listing for an atomic engine that was for sale. The vendor said he had an E35 mk11 that he was converting to an electric motor. Before I could ask him any questions the listing disappeared. How much would it cost to convert an E35 to an electric motor. I know very little about them. Has any one heard of this being done?

Michael Cullen
Impromptu

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Michael,

People are repowering with electric. There are a few companies that are supplying "drop in" units and one-off home brew motor/mount/reduction assemblies happening around the world.

I installed a drop in unit from this supplier; http://www.solidnav.com/ and really like it. Unfortunately they seem to be out of business.

Another manufacturer that I am familiar with and would wholeheartedly recommend is;http://www.electricyacht.com/electric-yacht-products/features.html last I heard they have supplied about 90 units.

Here are some other companies: http://www.advancedmarineelectricpropulsion.com/index_files/Page497.htm
http://www.ozmarine.se/OZecoDrive/Eng/IndexOZecoDriveEng.html

West Marine has an E-inboard offering but I haven't heard much about it.

Electric propulsion can be a wonderful thing; clean, reliable, quiet, powerful. If you mostly daysail/weekend, have shorepower and stay within 50 miles of home, to me it's a no brainer, electric works. If you cruise and motor a lot you need to plan on having way less motoring range and/or a generator. It can and is being done but you need to be aware of the limitations.

I've got about $6000 into my electric repower, that's for an E27 and I did the install.

If you are really thinking about it contact Scott and Bill at Electric Yacht.

msc1212

Member II
Thanks very much for the info. I guess I haven't being paying attention to this. My Atomic is hanging in by a thread. One more season and she's going to have to come out.

Michael

CaptDan

Member III
Electric power is intriguing. The question I have is, how would a 54 pound electric motor affect the handling characteristics of a boat like the E35II - particularly one with the mid-cabin engine placement?

With the E35II's relatively shoal draft and minimal ballast/displacement ratio, it's logical to assume a low slung, 250 pound engine affects heeling moment and possibly, windward tractability. So, would a lighter weight engine replacement require compensating ballast?

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Guy Stevens

The batteries are heavier than your old engine

The batteries are generally heavier than the old engine and trans was anyway.

Where and how to get the batteries into the boat is not a small one, and is something to consider carefully with regards to trim and weight placement.

Guy
:)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Guy is pretty much right. Most ICE/electric conversion calculations I've seen claim electric weight to be a little less, figuring; ICE full up weight with full tank of gas compared to 48 volt 5kw electric motor with 100 amp hrs of lead acid batteries.

That said, a 100 amp hr bank is minimal, most systems of this size are in the 200+ amp hr range. I'm sure that puts the electric weight heavier than an ICE.

When I added the eight 12 volt AGM's to my E27 under the port and starboard settees it lowered the bow noticeably. I have not felt an adverse affect on sailing but I do like the aesthetics, E27's tend to look heavy in the stern to me.

All this will be moot as lighter batteries continue to show up in electric auxiliary installations.

mgunning

Electric Propulsion

There is an electric powered E35 in Long Beach. I have spoken to the owner as he has he boat on the market. He went with a self designed system and I believe he is still trying to sort it out. I have two electric systems in a Newport 30 and a Cal 29 (to be installed in a week). It was interesting to see the affect of first taking out the old system and watching the stern rise and then installing the batteries and watching it lower. I have contemplated installing a system in my Ericson 27 but the Universal M25 (400 hrs) is just too new and runs too well, which is why I am selling it. I love the boat but it is not good Karma to be selling electric propulsion systems and owning a diesel. I know of a nice Ericson 27 in San Diego that has an two year old electric system and Don is very happy with it. It also was a self installed system but from EY.
We recommend battery placement be as low as possible, as close to the motor as possible, and in such a manner that it impacts trim as positively as possible. Be creative. :egrin:
Mike

Monty Beed

Member I
Electric Drive

More than likely that was me. I am in the process of replacing the old atomic 4 with a solid nav unit. Solid Nav has since gone of business but there is pretty much niothing that you can't buy to replace anything that may break on these units. The design is robust and maintenance is minimal. I am still in the conversion process and I won't be back into the water until next year. Doing a major refit. I will post pictures and info as soon as I get things done. If you have any questions drop me a line.

Arby Bernt

Electric Propulsion

I'm Arby Bernt, owner of Advanced Marine Electric Propulsion. We use an Ericson 27 with a 5kw system for our demo boat in San Francisco Bay. It's a sweet ride. We have eight 100Ah AGM batteries located in the engine space and under the seats on either side. They are Northstar FT100 rack-mount units, and can be mounted in any sane orientation. We get along all day with modest throttle use.
I've also provided a motor to an Ericson 35 located in Half Moon Bay, just south of the City. At 72 volts and 10kw, the boat has equal power to the original A4.

I'll be glad to answer questions for the forum.

Be Well,
Arby

steven

Sustaining Member
Arby,

re the 72v/10kw setup. Pretty much the main reason I have held off converting is range.
What range do you get out of the 8 x 100Ah AGM battery bank?

--Steve

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Arby,

Good to see you here. Is the Ericson 35 motor installed?

(Mark with the E27 and the SolidNav unit in Santa Cruz)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Sven,

I just looked at the SolidNav Facebook site. Does not look like anything new happening there.