• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Emerg. Tiller or Specs Wanted!

YoreCrew

We have a complete boat with the YS Wheel Option, with the exception of the Emergency Tiller. Anyone know where one can be purchased? Or does anyone have the specifications such that I could have one made?

Thanks!

joe-fran

Member II
emergency tiller

If you want to wait till spring I can get you the dimemtions of the 2 pieces of tubing that make up the tiller. My boat is under about 3 feet of snow now.
If you need still need the dimentions, PM me sometime in April.

Joe

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Don't have the dimensions but it is a pretty simple thing; just a piece of pipe that fits vertically into the rudder tube through the access plate in the floor of the cockpit, with a hole through the top for another piece of pipe to act as a tiller and two slots cut in the bottom to engage a rod that goes through the top of the rudder shaft. (IIRC the length of the vertical pipe is only about 3 ft. or so.)

You could probably just measure the diameter of the inside of the tube under the access plate and the rod through the rudder shaft and have one made easily.

The real trick is to figure out how to operate it with the pedestal, pedestal guard and backstay in the way...

(Here's a question for you: If a boat with a wheel has an emergency tiller, does a boat with a tiller have an emergency wheel?)

Attachments

• Emer_tiller_2.jpg
    Emer_tiller_2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

devoh002

Did anyone come up with the final version?
What is the inside diameter?, How tall is the pipe?, and how wide/tall are the slots in the bottom of the pipe?
Thanks.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Results

These are the dimensions of the emergency tiller that came with my 87' 28. Rudder post extension : Material: aluminum, OD=2.3125", ID=2.0625", Length 40"

Slots to engage quadrant, through bolt on bottom. Note: These holes are not directly opposed. The through bolt holes drilled in my quadrant were not directly opposed. Close but not exact. Also in the attached photo note the location of the hole for the tiller handle in relation to the slots. They are not in line as depicted in the drawing above.

Slot depth=6", slot width at the top=0.4375", slot width at bottom=0.6875". Holes at the top for insertion of the emergency tiller handle, 1.25" in diameter, the center of which is located 1.625" down from the top. These are directly opposed.

Emergency tiller: Material aluminum, OD= 1.25", ID=1", Length 40". I drilled a .250" through hole 1.125" from the end. This allows me to slip the tiller into the larger tube and use a wire tie to keep them together. I also wrapped foam pipe insulation around the tiller to keep it from banging around inside the rudder post extension.PICT0137 (640x480).jpg

Last edited: