• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Drain in converted icebox ?

Sven

Seglare
After a long time of planning it is finally time to do the Frigiboat thing.

We'll be increasing the insulation in the process. I am wondering if we need to make allowances for a drain in the bottom of what will become a freezer-fridge or if I can just seal it and pump out any accumulated water as needed ? Having a hole in the bottom that leaks cold air doesn't seem very appealing.

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat had a factory drain hose to the bilge area. Very inefficient.
I left the hose and added a plastic ball valve to the end. I would use the valved hose to remove melt water when we still used blocks of ice.

Later I covered the molded-in drain with some strong tape, on the inside of the box, after putting in refrigeration.

Loren

Sven

Seglare
Later I covered the molded-in drain with some strong tape, on the inside of the box, after putting in refrigeration.

Thanks Loren, that's what I would assume would be the solution. I wasn't sure if a drain would still be needed to make it easier to clean the box but standing on your head and wiping it down probably makes a lot more sense.

-Sven

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
Loren is correct as usual! I squirted some expanding foam into the drain and then sealed it with something.(can't remember) I have never needed it post conversion.

Glyn Judson

To plug or not to plug.

Sven and all, We augment our refrigeration with ice resulting in extended life of the batteries when at Catalina Island, typically getting 4-5 days (daylight running only) before the two dedicated batteries go dead. We are only capable of charging the Adler Barbour batteries when plugged into shore power.....by design. So when the ice melts, we need that drain hole. The work-around I came up with consists of a short length of vinyl tubing that just barely slips into the drain hole. I shaped a wine bottle cork to press fit into the tube and did the same with a stainless steel bolt with fender washer in the other end. We normally keep the "plug" in an adjacent drawer and insert it only when ice is in the locker. The fender washer helps grab the tight fitting plug in order to get it out. It ain't like filling the hole with foam but does give one an option to use the drain when deemed needed. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I have the original icebox and although I have an Adler-Barbour fridge unit installed in it, I usually just use ice.

I plumbed the drain line up to a small hand pump mounted on the side of the sink and use it regularly to drain the ice melt. We often use the melt to slosh crumbs and other debris out of the cockpit after a daysail.

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Many have suggested that freezing plastic jugs with water saves having to clean up the melted ice, and can be used for drinking or cockpit cleaning, too.:)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The icebox on my boat is converted with an AB system that we only use if going for more than two nights. Augmented with ice to jumpstart the cooling it works okay. Even without ice I would want the drain. Cleaning periodically with a bleach solution, etc. keeps things clean and pumping out the crap is the best way to do it. The drain is plumbed to a footpump in the galley. If you are so worried about cool loss put a ball valve inline and insulate the drain line, valve, etc.

RT

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Many have suggested that freezing plastic jugs with water saves having to clean up the melted ice, and can be used for drinking or cockpit cleaning, too.:)

Yes but a jug of ice doesn't cool a 12-pack in 20 minutes the same way as a bag of freezer ice dumped over everything will!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speedy cold vs Lasting cold

Yes but a jug of ice doesn't cool a 12-pack in 20 minutes the same way as a bag of freezer ice dumped over everything will!

Ah Yup.
The good news about our last few years with the old "ice" box was that we could cool down everything fast with cube ice.
Bad news was that block ice had disappeared from almost all dockside areas where we used to find it when refueling or overnighting a decade prior. Walking back from some distant market with 40 or 60# of melting blocks was a non-starter... :rolleyes:
And the cube ice melted down quickly.

I held out a long time before doing the frigoboat install, but was sure glad to have the constant cold and all that extra room in the old box.
For mixed drinks we do, however, take along a plastic bin with about 10# of cubes -- that lasts us about a week in the bottom of the fridge.

Loren

Sven

Seglare
Loren,

I held out a long time before doing the frigoboat install, but was sure glad to have the constant cold and all that extra room in the old box.
For mixed drinks we do, however, take along a plastic bin with about 10# of cubes -- that lasts us about a week in the bottom of the fridge.

Did you go the fridge-freezer route or just fridge ? It sounds like just fridge ?

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,
Did you go the fridge-freezer route or just fridge ? It sounds like just fridge ?
-Sven

A freezer compartment would be useful once in a while, but our ice box was only about 3.5 cu.ft, IIRC.

Of course, as I found out.... if I turn the little control knob above about "5", the whole box becomes a 22 degree freezer!
(Aquiring this information cost us a lot of burst pop cans.)
:rolleyes:

Loren

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Have you thought of insulating the drain tube and forming a loop in the tube to trap water effectively closing it yet making it automatic draining? Also draining into a contailer allows the reuse of the water for cleanup.

Rick

Member I
I find nice solution.I insert open cell foam [ruber] inside the drain pipe.It drain water but prevent air to go down.

Last edited: