• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e38 - 1981 - rudder motion stiff

gregdettmer

Member I
I am curious as to the amount of force it should take to turn the rudder. The boat I have was on the hard when I got it and the rudder was very stiff. Have dropped the rudder and cleaned out alot of old caked grease and debris. Replaced the Rudder packing with new. 1/4" packing was to small, did nothing, so went with 5/16", which is a bit tight but seems like the correct size. The rudder turns more freely than before, but still takes force. (currently the steering cables are not connected to the rudder).

The rudder post seems straight and there does not appear to be any binding, just tight though out the range.

Previous smaller, tiller steered sailboats I have had experience with the rudder piitoed quite freely, but there was no packing shaft

Regards
Greg

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If the steering cables are not connected you may not have enough leverage to turn the shaft easily?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Have you greased the rudder tube through the zerk nipples--there are two on my E30+ on the rudder post accessible inside the stern locker, but I'm not familiar with the setup on your boat. New grease could make a difference.

Frank

Shaggy

Member II
Howdy, Greg -

I've never tried grabbing and moving the rudder with my E-38 on the hard. However, helm is light and spins pretty freely at the dock.

While under weigh (just finished reading Two Years Before the Mast :)) the helm remains light and balanced...as long as I have the sail plan properly trimmed and balanced for the conditions.

My original impression when I first test-sailed this boat was that it felt light and effortless on the helm compared to some other boats I had sailed.

Don't know if this helps. Hope it is merely a 'leverage' issue on your rudder with steering cables disconnected and nothing more.

Best of luck, and may your project list decrease...unlike mine!

Curt

Ian S

Member III
MY 1990 e32 III has always had a stiff rudder as well. removed and proceeded to perform the same operation as you did. clean up, coat shaft and bearings with lubriplate submersible grease, and new packing. I was fortunate enough to have two helpers. I did notice that with the packing gland loosened it made a substantial difference so i now know that accounts for some of the friction. After having worked and sailed on several different Ericson's I have noticed that the helm on the 38's seems to be very light and the 32's, 34's and 35's a little heavy. I am convinced it's the reduced circumference of the quadrant and just the way the steering is rigged. After the good cleaning and greasing the difference was very noticeable. I also went through the pedastal assy. just to be thorough. Good Luck

Capt. Ian

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Does anyone know if the rudder packing can be replaced with the boat in the water, or does the rudder need to be dropped or other things dismantled to do this?

Thanks,
Frank

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
it can be done in the water. You can unbolt the three bolts and lift the top ring up, clean it all out and install a new packing. the rudder is still held in at the deck via the tiller mount. You should however do it dockside on a calm day, otherwise it can be a bit wet and bruising. Edd

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
When I had the rudder out of my E38 for replacement the new packing made it quite stiff when it went back together. Either it loosened up with use or the mechanical advantage of the cables/chain make it a moot point. Wheel is smooth as glass now.

RT

Ericsean

Member III
Rudder Packing

Greg,

The manual for the E38-200 that I downloaded off this site says for

2-7/8" shaft , use 1/4" packing
3-1/2" shaft , use 5/16" padking

Pretty sure the 38 has the 3-1/2" shaft, so you are right on that.

Kevin