• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to remove anchor locker, rebed bow fittings?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Permanently remove anchor locker pan

This has been a very interesting thread to read because, like many other Ericson models, my 32-3 has a molded anchor locked pan or well. I've been wanting to install a windlass for some time now but the only practical solution seems to be putting one through the fore deck just behind the anchor locked and then kick the rode into the locker as it's pulled onto the boat. But I've been very leery about the thought of putting yet another LARGE hole into the foredeck. Needless to say that some foredeck space would be lost to it.

If I pull the anchor well pan and glass in a bottom and back to make a larger anchor well, I could reach all of the bow hardware for re-bedding, eliminate the anchor well drain hose by making the well low enough so that the water just goes out the drain already in the hull, and more important, I could glass in supports and a platform into the well that would allow for a windlass to be mounted in the locker rather then make more holes in the foredeck. Not quite sure what would be the best way to glass in and/or attach a windlass platform to handle the loads that would be experienced but I'm sure there is a way. :egrin:

mggilmore

Member II
I'm considering a similar project (i.e. taking out the anchor locker on my Ericson 32-300 to get at bow fittings). I was going to unscrew from the top and try to pull it out but I was concerned about the drain and how to deal with it. I didn't want to pull apart the lining in my V-berth to deal with this but was hoping to do this from above. It sounds like this might be an unreasonable hope based on some of these postings. Can anyone comment? Is there any chance of pulling this off from above (given that there is a drain). Also, based on what I am seeing, the locker has been pulled out by a previous owner. Thanks for any advice.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Agree with you.

I'm considering a similar project (i.e. taking out the anchor locker on my Ericson 32-300 to get at bow fittings). I was going to unscrew from the top and try to pull it out but I was concerned about the drain and how to deal with it. I didn't want to pull apart the lining in my V-berth to deal with this but was hoping to do this from above. It sounds like this might be an unreasonable hope based on some of these postings. Can anyone comment? Is there any chance of pulling this off from above (given that there is a drain). Also, based on what I am seeing, the locker has been pulled out by a previous owner. Thanks for any advice.

mggilmore,

I agree with your assessment. I think you'll need to remove the panel at the bow end of the v-birth to get at the anchor locker hose. I firgure that if I'm going to go to that much trouble I might as well make the anchor well bigger and glass in the walls so I can get to that part of the deck again if needed. Also, like I mentioned in my posting, I'd like to mount an windlass in the locker too if possible.

BTW - I couldn't help but notice that you live in York! I'm in Middletown (near Penn State - Harrisburg) and we have our 32-3 in Annapolis on Back Creek. Well need to meet someday. Maybe even raft up sometime. Let me know if you even sail down to "Nap Town". :egrin:

mggilmore

Member II
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Very intersting that you have the same model and same year boat and you live and keep the boat close to us. We will definitely need to link up. We do get to Annapolis often enough. In fact I'm taking the Diesel class at the Annapolis School of Seamanship next month.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Annapolis School of Seamanship

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Very intersting that you have the same model and same year boat and you live and keep the boat close to us. We will definitely need to link up. We do get to Annapolis often enough. In fact I'm taking the Diesel class at the Annapolis School of Seamanship next month.

I took the same class about three or four years ago and learned a lot. Great school and good bunch of people too.:egrin:

Glyn Judson

Same boat, almost same location.

snip>> Very intersting that you have the same model and same year boat and you live and keep the boat close to us. We will definitely need to link up. It has been my experience while tracking E31's down to find that consecutive hull numbers are located in the same location or relatively nearby. The reason becomes obvious when taking a moment to figure it out. a dealership back then would order a few of a certain model or length boat and the next two from the factory would be sent their way. As an example, of 73 E31's made and almost 17 years tracking them down, I've yet to locate hulls #67 & # 68 and if/when I do, I'd wager that they are both still near where they were originally trucked, tucked away in some far corner of the country or even out of the country somewhere. Just my observations from years of staring at hull numbers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Results of anchor locker removal

So just to close the loop on this one. I did remove the anchor locker today, and it was a bit easier than I expected. After removing the caulk covering most of the screws in the lip from the deck side, I used a 2" wide paint scraper to pry carefully under the lip from the deck side to break the seal, working my way around the anchor locker. With patience, it eventually came free and I was able to lift it out. I took the opportunity to re-bed everything else--pulpit, cleats, anchor locker lid. I also replaced the anchor locker drain hose and hose clamps. It all took the better part of the day, but it went well and now its' done.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions--it gave me the courage to tackle a job that seemed like major surgery, but wasn't quite so bad.

Frank

Last edited: