• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Another Facet pump question.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
OK, I have determined that my pump is not working after checking the filter. (I had to disconnect the ground wire from the mounting bolt in order to move the filter away from the bulkhead a little to get the cap off, but that's all I did.)

I checked it with just the ignition switch on and also with the motor running; no fuel out of the pump either way. I think it is supposed to come on with the ignition switch?

Anyway I disconnected the hot wire to the pump and checked the voltage to ground and only got about 4.5 volts. (Have not tried 12v direct from battery yet to see if it works; getting dark out...)

I traced the hot and ground wires to behind the alternator but it's hard to see where they go and since I'm using my iPhone it would be hard to pull up a wiring diagram to see. What should I check?

If it works directly connected to the battery I figure I can get by with it wired to a switch with a fuse, but I want to find out why it's not getting 12v.

Dave Neptune

Member II
Facet

mherrcat, you should have an oil preassure cut out switch on the F/P. until you have a bit of oil preassure the pump should not have power.
You could also have a faulty switch, worth checking.

Dave Neptune:cool:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found that my pump circuit was not getting a full 12 volts. Figuring that there was some resistance in that fat plug that joins the original engine wiring harness, I bypassed it and ran a new #10 from engine panel to the pump. The pump should be "hot" when the engine panel key is on.
(That circuit also includes the hour meter and the indicator to the Halon extinguisher ruby light.)

Note that the electric fuel pump works whenever the key is on -- that's how you also use it bleed the fuel system before trying to start the diesel.

Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Confirmed that pump works when 12v applied. Appears that it may be a faulty ground. Have to get behind the alternator tomorrow.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Faulty ground.

It was indeed a broken ground connection on the engine behind the alternator. Had to take the alternator off to get to it. What a mess back there; nothing has been touched in 25 years. I did use the opportunity to wire in an unused bilge pump switch that is connected to the battery so now I can bleed the fuel lines without having to go into the cockpit to turn on the ignition. Unfortunately the switch activates the whole circuit (pump, engine hour meter and oil pressure alarm) so I still have to listen to that annoying buzzer while bleeding the line.