• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

atomic 4 to m15/4511 swap

bob smith

Any body know if a universal m15/4511 will fit into a ericson 27. It has a atomic 4 in there now. And will shaft size or prop be a problem. Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am not sure about those models but Betamarine makes a direct fit replacement for the A4. Same Kubota block as the Universal.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine and fitting...

Assume that the Universal diesel is specific to the question because one is being offered....
If a wider choice is being considered, you might like the comment from a friend of mine that replaced his ailing A4 with a Yanmar a couple of decades ago in an E-27. I sent this thread along to him and his reply:
Loren: Seems to me I figured 10 HP was enough based on weight to be pushed around (not to mention size of pocket book to be pushed around). I just made a plywood mockup having the proper spacing for the four engine mounts relative to the output flange on the tranny. With that I could see just how to fit it in, what had to be done to the bed logs, accessibility, etc.

Not a whole new answer for you, but some more data to ponder.
I recall noticing that the single cylinder diesel looked rather small in the engine compartment that had held an A4 gas engine before!

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This has been discussed frequently here at at moyermarine.com.

15 years ago when the boats were newer and A4 parts and expertise were harder to find, this might have made sense. But today with Moyer on the scene with tons of rebuilding and materiel support, I personally think you'll have a tough time justifying the time and cost of a conversion compared to a repair/rebuild.

In addition to the cost of the new engine you'll need a new fuel system, new prop, possibly a new shaft strut (different transmission angle), and likely a new shaft. It's probably a $10k job and a whole lot of futzing with everything else you might as well do as long as all that stuff is out of the engine compartment.

That'll buy you two complete A4 rebuilds. Your current engine may not even require a complete rebuild.

Also: while the A4 doesn't put out the full 30HP, it can be pushed to 20HP. A 10HP replacement diesel isn't going to be the same in heavy seas.

(I'm omitting the usual fal-de-rol about the smell and noise of diesel engines but that applies too.)

The benefit: longer range. Is it worth $7k to not have to carry jerry cans on deck for the occasional times you plan to cruise beyond the limits of a tankful of gasoline?

Last edited: