• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing a Maxwell windlass

Sven

Seglare
Our manual single speed windlass is beautiful.

Using the manual windlass to retrieve our all chain rode is great exercise.

Unfortunately, a single speed manual windlass is probably not the safest way of getting out of an anchorage if time is of the essence and you have 300' of chain out. So we just ordered a Maxwell VWC 1500 series electric windlass.

001674.jpg

This is yet another serious dent in our "world cruising kitty" so I want to make sure we do it right. The choice of windlass is sound but I'm all ears if there are any installation opinions out there (are there ever not !?).

1 - I'm proposing not putting in any foot switches at the windlass. Instead use a wireless up-down controller backed up by a helm mounted up-down controller. Reason is to avoid more holes in the deck.

2 - It would be good to get suggestions for how to reinforce the deck underside to spread the 500-1500# horizontal load. Loads other than retrieval would not be carried by the windlass but suggestions for general strengthening to carry those would also be appreciated.

3 - It seems as if the consensus is to not mount a bow-windlass battery but use 0/0 (or whatever) cables from the main banks to provide the power.

Thoughts ?

-Sven

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
1- I don't really trust a wireless controller entirely. A wired controller with a quick disconnect in the anchor well or on the deck would be my choice. Don't really care for the foot switches either. Seems to easy to accidentally step on one at the wrong time.

2- Spreading the load is easy enough with epoxy saturated marine plywood on the back side. Tough to say exactly how, where, etc. since most installs are custom but you get the idea I think.

3- Long cables of the correct size seems the accepted practice now. A separate battery, charging it, mounting it, etc. seems a far more complicated affair.

RT

Sven

Seglare
1- I don't really trust a wireless controller entirely. A wired controller with a quick disconnect in the anchor well or on the deck would be my choice. Don't really care for the foot switches either. Seems to easy to accidentally step on one at the wrong time.

2- Spreading the load is easy enough with epoxy saturated marine plywood on the back side. Tough to say exactly how, where, etc. since most installs are custom but you get the idea I think.

3- Long cables of the correct size seems the accepted practice now. A separate battery, charging it, mounting it, etc. seems a far more complicated affair.

RT

Thanks Rob.

Those answers are pretty consistent with what I got on the Cruisers' Forum.

Speaking of wireless ... there was one guy in a Benateau down in Mission Bay who loved to stand on the bow with his wireless remote and motor into the marina, dodging small craft and sailboats and commercial fishing charter boats. I don't/didn't wish him misfortune, but I did hope I'd be there when the wireless batteries ran out at the wrong time.

I might also follow up on the sandwiched G10 suggestion if I can find a somewhat local supplier.

Thanks again,

-Sven