• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter storage cover for E28?

jmcelwee

Member I
Hi all,

I've just purchased a 1984 28+ and live in the Northeast. I'm interested in saving some $$ over the winters by investing in a custom canvas cover for winter storage, and am wondering if anyone out there happens to have a pattern/design for such a cover (or where I might find one)? I've got a seamstress friend that could make it for me, so just need a pattern...

If anyone can help (and my friend is willing), she might be interested in making more covers for folks that were interested.

Thanks for any help!
-Josh

berner73

Hi Josh,

I know it isn't exactly what you're looking for, but a couple of years ago we purchased a cover from the Canvas Store for our '87 Cal 28-2 (thecanvasstore.com).

They have patterns for many boats and you could try inquiring, but I doubt they'd provide it for free. An alternative would be to ask to see if they had a customer reference for your boat, and then contact that owner to see if he/she would allow you to use their cover as a template.

Good Luck

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a boom tent from Fairclough Sailmakers on my E38. Bought it 5 years ago for $1800. Supposed to last 10 years +or-. Thats pretty cheap at $180/year. RT

tilwinter

Member III
Winter Cover

I have purchased two covers from The Canvas Store--one for my Ericson 30, and another for my current boat.

The price is quite fair. My "canvas guy" who did my dodger said he could not come close to The Canvas Store for a winter cover.

In addition, the design has been tweaked over the years. The new design goes over the toe rail, and has a novel method for the stanchions. I really like the new design, and I think it would be very difficult for an amateur to duplicate.

I have no financial relationship with The Canvas Store.

berner73

I'd have to agree with Rod. It's a nice product, pretty cheap (particularly if ordered during the Winter) and the people were great to deal with. 3 Winters and it will have paid for itself relative to shrink wrap. Ours is the new style that covers the toe rails and modified stanchion raps.

Josh, if you want to check it out, our boat is on the hard over in Winthrop. Happy to show it to you.

Joe

jmcelwee

Member I
Hi all,

Thanks for the great replies! I've sent out some feelers to a few companies (the canvas store and shipshape canvas). Canvas store already got back to me (email below). Sounds like a pretty decent deal, considering the yard will charge me $17/ft for shrinkwrapping, so it would pay for itself in 4 years or so.

Josh,

I do have that pattern. Our Over-The-Toe-Rail Cover for your Ericson is $2,296.00. This style is designed to hang 4-6” below the toe rail, protecting any brightwork you may have and covering the gunwales completely. I am offering 15% off this cost, for a special post-season discount, bringing the total cost to $1,951.00. I am including free shipping.

We use your rigged mast and boom as our frame. The cover lays over the boom and ties on the interior of the cover to the base of the stanchion. The forward section is supported by a forward facing tab that ties to the base of your forestay. There is also a loop for your auxiliary halyard on the seam of the forward section. We use the angle of the fabric, from boom to toe rail to shed the snow.

Our winter covers are fabricated with Top Gun, which is an extremely durable marine polyester material. The color is Indian Birch, a light tan color, which is the most durable and lasting in harsh sun and weather. The cover is easily installed and uses the boom as support. It ties off on the inside of the stanchions allowing for ventilation. The cover is great for both wet and dry storage. Because of the durability of the Top Gun Fabric, we are able to offer a warrantee for fit and finish of the cover that is good for as long as you own the boat.

Please call us with any questions you may have.
Visit our website for photo galleries of each style of cover.
Rebecca Windsor
The Canvas Store

jmcelwee

Member I
Hi Mark,

My boat is 'Intrigue', currently out of Mystic. I'll be moving up to Rhode Island at the start of next season, though, as I'm based in Boston.

-J

I know that boat

Hi Josh,

The former owner Dave is a good friend of mine, he looked for a E28+ after sailing on mine a few times. I helped him bring it down from RI when he bought it several years ago. It was kept in the summer at New Haven Yacht Club, where I keep mine. There is also a third E28 at the club, a 1986. Now we are back down to two. Intrigue was well maintained and never sailed hard. Enjoy it, they are great boats, but remember to reef early as the wind comes up past 15 knots.

Mark