• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bowsprit on Ericson 23 mkI

LunAzul

We recently purchased this boat from a previous member (see Skank Bottom). After re-doing standing rigging and dealing with a bad impeller and some other things we had some wonderful time sailing her on a windy lake in Northern New Mexico actually setting a way too big spinnaker w/out pole! (Probably wont try that again)
Anyway, I found a picture in the archives of an Ericson mkI with a bowsprit flying a small spinnaker. Can someone tell me more about this rig set up? Like dimensions, materials etc.?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi LunAzul,

Welcome! The E23 mk1 is a great boat.

The bowsprit on the E23 m1 "Coaster" was made using the collapsible whisker pole. I do not have the boat anymore but I think the pole was 2" in diameter (an old hang glider leading edge:). I added the Dyneema bob stay because I was getting a bit more bend in the unsupported sprit than I was comfortable with. I just added some photos of the setup for you in the "Community" area under Coaster.

I have added a retractable sprit to my E27. The pole is a 3" spinnaker pole cut down to work only as a sprit. You can see some photos of that under "Lotus Flower".

You can buy off the shelf retractable sprits from Selden and others; http://www.seldenmast.com/download.cfm?download=7837&webnode_id=3014&filename=595-261-E.pdf

LunAzul

Bowsprit for 23 mkI

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and information.! This is Doug and Sharyn and we are still getting ready to share photos and info of our boat. We are land locked in NM but have some great sailing and wonderful people with a marina/yacht club/PHRF races just Good sailing folks in the desert which used to be an ocean some X # of years ago.:egrin: