• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1970 E 35-2 Boom Length

ronsmith001

Can anyone tell me what the specs are for the original boom? My 35-2 was modified to a short boom that just comes to the forward edge of the cockpit. I'd like to restore it to the original. So, if anyone knows the manufacturer and dimensions, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Lucky Dog

Member III
I have been out of time.. visiting mom in Chicago. I can swing by our e35II tomorrow?
Are planning on have a new boom built. There was someone parting out a ericson in the Seattle area.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
The one in Seattle is gone... I know because it is in my back yard! Including the entire goose neck it is exactly 178" long Hope that helps. Edd

Lucky Dog

Member III
Our boom for a 1973 e35II is 186" long. That is only the metal tube for the boom.

The width is 3.25" and height is 5.5"

I attached some photos with the cut end measured from the forward end of the boom tube and one of the end profile.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• cut out.jpg
    cut out.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 46
  • forward of cut out.jpg
    forward of cut out.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 49
  • aft of cut out.jpg
    aft of cut out.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 45
  • end of boom.jpg
    end of boom.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 46

CaptDan

Member III
Ok, why is mine shorter?:confused:

The E35II featured a few different mast heights and mains'l configurations.
The so called 'Frisco Main' - high aspect, short foot - was one variant. There was also a longer footed version. The former was allegedly intended for sailing venues with higher winds - ie: the SF Bay Area.

The (original) boom on our '77 model extends over the thwart of the aft cockpit, roughly above the traveler. However, there's a 'slug' inserted in the boom's aft end, about 2.75 feet forward of the outhaul sheave. I assume that's a modification to accomodate the shorter footed main.

Pure conjecture here, but it's possible a P.O. wanted to reduce the mains'l area (and weather helm) further by 'sawing off' your boom, then, perhaps, bending on a main from a Catalina 27 (used as example only.). Or - maybe they just wanted more room in the cockpit. If the traveler on your boat is located over the coach roof, it might indicate something like this occured in the past. If there's no traveler at all, that's another issue.

Certainly if it were me, I'd replace your boom with something closer to the designer's intent, mounting the mainsheet where it originally was and crafting a modern Harken-style traveler on the helm thwart. That might mean investing in a new boom entirely, but anything will beat the current setup, IMO.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
my new boom is only 8" +/- shorter than the one measured by Lucky Dog. My old one is 144" long and was cut down as you describe (as well as the reasons) and the traveler moved to just behind the companionway. I wonder if they may have made the boom a bit longer on the short mast boats and longer on the tall mast ones like mine? Edd

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
my new boom is only 8" +/- shorter than the one measured by Lucky Dog. My old one is 144" long and was cut down as you describe (as well as the reasons) and the traveler moved to just behind the companionway. I wonder if they may have made the boom a bit longer on the short mast boats and longer on the tall mast ones like mine? Edd

CaptDan

Member III

Far as I can tell, the stock booms were essentially the same length, but the mast heights varied between 40 and 42 feet. In both examples that I've seen, none featured a short boom with traveler located near the companionway or over the coachroof. Those would be owner modifications.

My jaundiced opinion is, a mainsheet within the helmsman's grasp is a wonderous thing. On the other hand that means a longer boom, a greater chance of being whacked in a gybe, and less cockpit space for partying at the dock.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Yes I know my old boom was a mod by the P/O. It would have been nice if he kept the original main sail but he was a racer in the SF Bay and I guess the rating edge was worth cutting up the boom and boat. there is evidence of the traveler being t the helm at one time. By the plaques and clippings he left behind it worked too! But I intend to restore it to its original form. Both the original and replacement masts are the 42' length and the boom that came with the new one appears to bu original and unmodified. It perplexes me that there would be that it would be 6-8 " shorter than another original. Edd

CaptDan

Member III
It perplexes me that there would be that it would be 6-8 " shorter than another original.

Perhaps that's how the factory ordered the booms (from Kenyon?) for certain model years. It's also possible that later iterations featured the same booms, but the 'Frisco' models carried the insert piece I mentioned. That might've been a result of factory bean counters insisting on some standardization.

Stranger things have happened. Up until a few years ago I could swear all
E35IIs were deck stepped sloops - until I saw a 1981 model with a factory keel stepped mast at a Pac Norwest Ericson Rendevous .

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"