• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder Grease Fittings on E-38

Touchrain

Member III
I have a 1980 E38, but a manual from the newer 200 model. The manual says there are two grease fittings on the rudder post, one near the top under the cockpit floor and another where the rudder enters the hull. The top one is easy to spot. However, for the life of me, I cannot find the lower one. I've squeezed into the lazarette, polked, peered and prodded, but can't find it. The page from my manual with the illustration is missing -- such luck, every other page is there. Can any of you give me some help here? Thanks.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Best I can offer is that on our newer '89 model the second fitting was indeed down low, maybe six inches above the hull, facing aft. The kicker was that the lower fitting was completely encased with and covered by gel coat. Once I found a bump that I was pretty sure was the zirc fitting I had to dig it out with a Dremel tool, and then replace it since it was clogged with gel coat. Let's hope yours is easier to find.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have an '83 E38 and I cannot find a lower zerk fitting either. I've had the rudder and entire steering system out and no evidence of it. The top bearing in the deck has a fitting facing aft. Its mostly useless as I cannot get at it anyway. What I do is dribble a little 90 weight gear oil around the top of the rudder stock from the emergency tiller access at the beginning of each season. That takes care of the top bearing. The rudder stock was liberally greased when I replaced the rudder but I see no practical way to do so when installed. RT

Touchrain

Member III
Thanks for the info. I'll let everyone know if I find the second fitting. My top fitting is easy to access if you are a contortionist.