• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

first time mast step

butchndesharp

I plan on haulling out my E29 this spring. I'm new to this. I've got everything planned as much as possible, but I expect plenty of unpleasant surprises. My major worry is the mast. The wires diappear in the cabin overhead. What can I expect when the mast comes off? are there connections or access holes some where. I'd appreciate any information on mast wiring or other problems that might be waiting for me.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
When I get to my computer I will send you pictures of the mast step and more info. It should be a stump mount mast and require lifting.

jgfinney

No worries...

Don't worry too much about the mast unstep. If you've had long to plan you'll be fine. Just don't be in a rush, and if its being done at a yard with a crane then you'll not have much to do. They'll have it done in 15 minutes and you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

The mast step is an aluminum extrusion just slightly smaller in dimension than the mast. It's about 2-3 inches high and does indeed require lifting as Randy mentions. I don't have pics to offer, though.

If you have a mast mounted vhf antenna, the coax connection will be in the mast and the crane will raise a few inches and the rigger will disconnect that.

Electrical is on an external plug on mine, so not much of a factor. I don't know how yours might be, but willing to bet that the rigger has seen it before.

Not something to be done without a crane. Accidentally did this once while rushing around before the crane arrived and it was fortunate nobody was killed and the mast was't bent when it fell.

For stepping I've spent a lot of time trying to do myself and determined that my skull is well worth the $150 the crane and rigger cost at the yard in MA.

Enjoy!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Sorry for the delay

The mast step pictures are mounted on a plywood prototype of the mast hinge plate and the other pictures are of the mast on the hinge plate mounted on the boat.

Attachments

• PC030446.jpg
    PC030446.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 53
  • P2200071.jpg
    P2200071.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 47
  • tabernacle 002.jpg
    tabernacle 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 52
  • tabernacle 003.jpg
    tabernacle 003.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 63

butchndesharp

jgfinney and randy

thanks. I wish that I still had access to tools. retirement does have it's downside. I am thinking about putting a base plate under the mast. presently there are no lines run to the cockpit. it looks like the way to go. i'm trying to get information on it. desn't look that hard.

butch sharp

Capt. Max

Member II
I step and unstep about 300 boats a year and its not that crazy.
Just pay the yard and it will be done like that.
Stand off to the side and watch. I dont like when the owner is on deck
with me it can be unsafe.

butchndesharp

that is my intention. thanks for the advice. I'm new to sailing and am pretty anxious about something hanging on a hook with no experiance. I feel much more confident about having it unstepped.

butch sharp.:nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our local yards really appreciate it when the owner does all the preparation for something like this.
Your spar is probably deck-stepped so is easier than ours, but there is still a lot of busy work that an owner can get out of the way before the boat is there tying up lift time (not to mention running up a higher labor bill).

If possible, bring in the boat to the yard with boom off and stowed, genny off (if RF), and some plan for dealing with all the internal wiring. If you have the wiring opened up inside, label everything.:nerd:

Mark every standing rigging thread at the point it enters the turnbuckle and label anything that might remotely be needing to be taken off the rig.

Decks cleared, running rigging off the housetop, gear stored, for yard guys to move about safely.

As the old saying might go: "been there, done that, saved enough $ to buy the T shirt!"

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

AleksT

Member III
It will most likely go super smoothly, but...

Ask your rigger about the condition of the mast step itself after the mast has come off. Now will be the time to change it if there is too much corrosion or other damage. I've had steps crumble into chunks and dust when I have taken a mast off. (It was on older boats that had not been taken care of and the rig had probably never been taken off). The wiring coming out of the boat inside the mast may be corroded and need to be replaced.
While the mast is ask your rigger about the condition of the masthead sheaves. Replacing them while the mast is down is much easier than doing it up in the air. (If you have wire to rope halyards consider going to all rope halyards which may also entail changing sheaves.)

Since you are new to sailing schedule a time with your rigger to look over your mast together when it is down. It is your boat and you should know as much about it as possible.

Capt. Max

Member II
Dont get me wrong,I love when the customer removes the boom ,lines ect.
I just dont like them on deck with me at the time the mast is hanging in
the crane. I have two guys that insist on being on deck and sometimes
they cause more problems than help. I hate to admit we have also dropped one mast in 10 years(due to crane failure) and I would hate to have somebody hurt or worse. The are always welcome to stand on the sidelines
and watch me and ask questions.