• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Opening Port Repair Questions

Blue Chip

Member III
I have a question about the "swing up" windows on the 32-200. Not the right name I'm sure.
Looking at them it would seem you could remove them from the boat...LENS ONLY, take off the hardware and then get Tap Plastic or someone if Lewmar doesn't sell them to cut a new "plastic, acrylic", whatever it is, window. Tinted if you wished.
Having said all that. I have never seen THAT solution mentioned as an answer to the "crazzing" effect.
It seems so simple to replace just the window and not the window frame if it dosn't leak.
Am I missing the obvious here? :confused:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a question about the "swing up" windows on the 32-200. Not the right name I'm sure.
Looking at them it would seem you could remove them from the boat...LENS ONLY, take off the hardware and then get Tap Plastic or someone if Lewmar doesn't sell them to cut a new "plastic, acrylic", whatever it is, window. Tinted if you wished.
Having said all that. I have never seen THAT solution mentioned as an answer to the "crazzing" effect.
It seems so simple to replace just the window and not the window frame if it dosn't leak.
Am I missing the obvious here? :confused:

You might be describing the Lewmar opening ports. They open (i.e. hinge up) on the inside of the boat. Lewmar used to make new lenses and and O-ring kit for the fasteners. Supposedly the lens is cast acrylic.
The sponge gasket also hardens and flattens with age and finally needs replacing -- starting around 20 years.
Since the lens suffers (albeit slowly) from UV damage, you will normally find that if you moor such that one side gets direct sun, that is the side with noticeable damage to the port lens.
There are other companies that can produce lens replacements, and hopefully someone with experience in this project can comment further.
There is a copy of an article on this site with instructions on re-building these ports.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=32&id=150
(The scan came out large for the saved PDF, but you can adjust that with the % control -- 37% works nicely on my monitor.)

Loren

ps: moved this to its own thread, since it started in a thread about repair of fixed ports. :)

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Opening Ports

Hi:

The best advice you will get concering these opening ports is contained in the thread that Loren has given you.

I used this three years ago, and replaced all of the gaskets that I was able to get from Defender......I replaced all of the "O" rings......a real PIA job, but nary a leak since.

A word of advice......the "O" rings do not have to be sized with a micrometer....very close will do.....BUT.....make sure they are well covered with silicone grease......no binding, and slick enough that whatever airborne dust and odd particulates get in you will not grind up your lenses.

Also.....go to www.catalinadirect.com, and you will find that they have replacement lenses for these ports.....

Hope this helps

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Bomar/Lewmar/????

Ericson switched portlight styles/manufacturers quite a bit in the 80's as near as I can tell... probably whatever they could get the best deal on that day. I know at least Lewmars and two styles of Bomars were used.

Ours are a "frameless" lens from Bomar which they no longer support or even acknowledge ever makng, and I plan on someday cutting replacements myself or finding someone to cut them for me.

I talked to our local TAP once about them, and they would cut the window, but not route the grooves or tap the screwholes which our style of Bomar require.

I really wish ours were a made from a company that still supported the portlights. But on the brightside, ours do appear bulletproof compared to a lot of the stuff out there. :egrin:

Theres lots of good info on the site on the various styles and how people addressed problems on this site if you are willing to wade through the search results.

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Very Valid Point!

Kudos to Cory....

I assumed only "Lewmar".......

Mine are Lewmar, circa 1987.......on any others I am totaly clueless

I am sure all know what "ASSUME" is?

newpbs

Member III
link Not Opening

Loren,

I'm trying to open the link that you posted. No luck. Is there an issue with the link or am I doing something wrong. I usually do not have any problems opening links on this site.

I also could use some rebuilding information for my Lewmr ports.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Paul

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,

I'm trying to open the link that you posted. No luck. Is there an issue with the link or am I doing something wrong. I usually do not have any problems opening links on this site.

I also could use some rebuilding information for my Lewmr ports.

It opens for me. ??
Go to Document Archives, then to Downloads Center, then to Non-Model Specific Documentation.

Hope that helps.
Loren

lbertran

Member III
Bomar Ports Used in E35-3

After much searching, I found the brand and model of the opening ports used on my 1985 E35-3. I needed this info in order to find screens for these ports. The ports are Bomar Extruded Portlights 3000 Series, Model N3410. There are parts, screens, and complete replacement ports available from Pompanette LLC, http://www.pompanette.com/home.

Brian K

Member III
Lewmar opening port size #1

I posted this awhile ago.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5646

<O:pI'm not sure if the link above will actually work, so here is the text:

<O:p</O:pLewmar Opening Ports<O:p

<HR align=center color=#fffffb SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>

I though some EYO members might be interested in this source. I found replacement acrylic (the "glass") for the opening Lewmar ports for my '88 E-32-200 at http://www.catalinadirect.com/ for $32 each - $10 cheaper than Select Plastics. The part is called "Opening Port Replacement Lens" #Z2384. It's the exact same port I had on my '89 Catalina 25. Unfortunately when I was looking for these for my Catalina, I couldn't find a source. But they have them now!! These are "grey" tinted and an exact replacement for the 12" x 5" original acrylic.<O:p</O:p

Bob Cole

Member I
If your opening ports are Lewmar and they probably are, determine the size, such as "old style standard size 1", which they were on 34's and probably 32's in the late 1980's. Sources for the acrylic, clear or tinted, are Florida Rigging, Riviera Beach, FL. 800-718-1649 (Tim) for Lewmar replacements and Select Plastics, Norwalk, Ct. 06855 203-866-3767. They'll have other sizes also. Spring kits are also available
Bob
E-34