• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

LED Anchor light

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have an E-32 III (1987) and am thinking about changing the "standard" anchor light with a low draw LED light, preferably one that will replace the current incandescent type bulb Has anyone done this yet and if so what LED bulb did you use or is a completely new fixture required? I'm not planning to go "up the stick" any time soon, because it's winter and it's cold, but come spring I'd like to make the change for a variety of reasons that most of you already know. :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Led

Our old 2-bulb incandescent fixture (and it was a watt hog) was replaced in '02 as part of the spar re-rig and rewiring project. I believe that it's a Perko, but that particular LED model does not appear in their current catalog.

Lots of competitors nowadays, and like ours they are $100.+.

One change I would make if doing this over would be to run #16/2 wire cable all the way up there instead of the size 14. Much easier to pull and less weight aloft. The yard sized the wire for an incandescent bulb fixture just to be conservative... but that's not where the future is going to be for this stuff.

Loren

Maine Sail

Member III
I have a Dr. LED Polarstar 40 in an Aquasignal Series 40 fixture which is a USCG approved combo and the only aftermarket combo that is so approved. It works but is still not my "ideal" set up.

I would NOT however go this route again if doing it over. The Dr. LED bulbs are less than reliable, their customer support is poor, and you can now buy purpose designed USGC approved nav lights for a lot less money than you could even one year ago. I would buy LED lights designed for the purpose if doing it all over and would not repeat my purchase of adding aftermarket LED's to incandescent fixtures.

Aqua Signal and Hella both make some excellent all round/anchor lights in LED and they are USCG approved and quite reliable.

The Hella NaviLED anchor light is a good value..
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|65136|739053|760449&id=769978

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
LED Anchorlight

I have a Stektronicks LED anchorlight that has a photocell and turns itself on and off. Very stingy with energy use and has been totally reliable for two seasons. It's USCG approved. I got it from SV Hotwire with whom I have no connection except as a happy customer.

http://svhotwire.com/info/?cat=115

hodo

Member III
Masthead light.

I replaced our masthead light with a Perko this last year. I found there are no bulbs available for changing out the existing ones as the led bulbs are directional and any that might go in, wouldn't shine out. I also found out the old base was not going to make it much longer, so I changed out the unit. Check out the overall condition of the light assembly, it may make the decision easier.
Harold

tadslc

Member III
I recently purchased a Hella NavLED masthead light from Defender. Their model #980-910-001.

I haven't installed it yet though so can't give you an opinion but I trust Hella products.

Tad

jreddington

Member III
Hella LED

I have used the Hella masthead the last couple years. It shows $99.99 on Defender but if you can wait and keep an eye open you can find it in the $60s on either their Spring sale or some other shop.

These are great. Unit is completely sealed, easy to mount, draws nearly nothing in current.

Best thing is no bulb contacts to worry about corroding. If you just buy an LED bulb you'll still be up the mast every couple years cleaning contacts. Also, the Hella (and other units) are USCG approved. An LED in a conventional fixture is not.

If you want to go really fancy, a friend has one that includes a photocell to turn on and off automatically. He even leaves it on auto at his mooring since the draw is so low it's no problem to be away for a couple weeks. If you have any solar charging, you'd never have to worry about the draw.

All you have to remember is to put it to off when underway at night.

Jim R.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a Davis anchor light. Its a standard incandescent design but only draws 0.32amps with the optional "bright" bulb and even less with the standard. Its cheap, it has performed well, but I made a custom plate mount to match it to my mast. Since I don't anchor all that frequently I didn't worry all that much about amp draw. 0.32 is LED territory anyway.

RT

stuartm80127

Member II
LED Masthead

I have a tricolor and Anchor combo up top fed by #14 AWG wire. Both lights use LedShoppe LED's from Austrailia. Brightest LED's I have ever seen and they dont interfere with VHF. I added them in 2009 and they worked great on freshwater and then worked great for the summer of 2010 on the ocean. When you re-mount the lights, place lots of silicone grease along the rubber gasket to keep from leaking and collecting moisture and becoming a breeding ground for corrosion. Not a shred of corrosion on the lights. When I mounted my light to the mast, I used gracious amounts of 4000UV to ensure that the unit would be watertight along the base.