• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Cable Replacement

wkurtsails

My 1989 E32 needs to have the steering cables replaced. Has anyone done this job and any advise on doing it? It is an Edson system.

jreddington

Member III
Not too bad a job. Just the usual squirming yourself in tight quarters.

Just unbolt the eye bolts that hold it to the quadrant. Take the top off your pededstal and disassemble enough to lift the chain off the sprocket.

You can order replacement cable and chain from Edson, but a local rigging shop can rig the wire to a replacement chain.

Just note how much to the threads you've used on the eyebolts. If you've used most of them up the chain may have stretched and been adjusted before. then you might want to make the replacement a 1/2" or so shorter than the old.

Drop the cable down the pedestal and lay the chain on the sprocket. Run over the sheaves to the quadrant. Note that most installations have the cables criss cross in the pedestal. Double check as you set up to make sure you don't end up with "backward" steering.

rhewitt

Member II
Replaced it all...

Two years ago the plate cracked, broke and cable got twisted and chain stuck...
Called Edison and they sure helped a lot. could send you pictures but all you have to do is look and work... I ended up ordering and replacing the complete set up... No to bad if you take your time and enjoy tight places.
Had some help from my Sea Scouts (www.sailingnicaragua.com) and oh boy did we learn a lot. It cost us more than we wanted but hey its a sailboat.

Just got in from 7 hours on the ocean with guest and a wind of 24-26 waves 6-8 and she works fine... we check about each month as we sail year a round. Just keep cable clamps tight and all should be well.