• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sail the high seas on a budget...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks!

Aside from the dream being promoted, I note that the article carried a LOT of warnings, too. Like getting drawn into crime as either accomplice or victim. Yikes.

Four decades ago, I used to think about doing something like that crewing-n-traveling idea, but it seems like my conservative upbringing would not allow me the pleasure (or at least not the time off...).
So I worked steadily and eventually paid off a mortgage. Very little excitement in my life.
:nerd:
Now I am a bit long in the tooth for such ideas, but at least can afford to be retired, and know a bit about boat maintenance, but have proportionately less energy to tackle heavy projects.
Oddly enough, now I might be better-qualified for the "skipper" position than the the "dogsbody" position, but have little money and, by the standards of the article, not much of a yacht either!:rolleyes:

LOL..... :)

Thanks for the link. Lots of Fun to read, and momentarily ponder one of the many of life's "roads not taken."

Loren

I sometimes find myself ruminating on the last three lines of this Roger Waters lyric:
"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, Staying home to watch the rain,
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find, ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run, You missed the starting gun."

"Time" on The Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd, 1973)

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
We must be the same age Loren judging by you taste in music, but alas my mortgage is not paid off, but the boat is. Time is no longer on my side as well. I just have to pretend that Catalina is the Caribbean.

Now if I only could cook I might be able to get a job on one of those luxury yachts. At least I would not need a hair net any more. :egrin:

Last edited: