• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing Frigoboat in E35-3

lbertran

Member III
We've just purchased a Frigoboat refrigeration system to install in our boat. I'm trying to figure out where to install the compressor so that it's within 5 feet of a good location for the keel cooler. My preference is in the starboard cockpit locker on the liner shelf above the CNG tank. Ericson kindly ran 12v wires to that location. But it's not immediately obvious to me where to place the keel cooler within that 5 foot spec. I've searched the archives for posts from other owners of 35-3's that have undertaken this project but found only input on 38-200's. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
In the 35-2s there is a cockpit drain in the locker below the companionway (actually there is 2) that the sink is teed into. The 35-3s are probably similar. I would find either the thru hull for the sink or cockpit drain and run to the closest. You do of course know to take the boat out of the water first I hope!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Laura, my current boat has the keel cooler within 3 ft of the compressor under my sail locker. There is a storage compartment with a lid to protect the copper lines from the cooler.

On the 35-3 you could use the area in the sail locker just forward of the locker itself. Under the trash can locker. Seems like an ideal location as it can easily be protected from gear sliding down onto the fitting.

BTW, the Alder Barbour(sp?) on Cordelia was on that same shelf above the CNG tank.

As for factory installed wiring, please make sure they used tinned copper stranded wire. Anything else should be replaced.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Thanks, Tim

I have my eye on that area under the trash bin. There's also a small shelf space right behind the trash bin that may be large enough. I'm looking to simplify both the keel cooler run and the refrigerant lines to the ice box. BTW, we have the mast down and I just got done dropping all the standing rigging at the rigger's for replacements, also removing, inspecting the u-bolts to the chain plates. Lots of Winter projects!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of 12 volt supply wiring, you will need a minimum wire size #10. (The vendor said he usually tries to put in #8. Evidently these compressors dislike any voltage drop.)
I went with the #10 because I have no swager for the larger size. My compressor is about 8' or 9' from the breaker panel. I used tinned wire of course.
Source an empty coffee can for... carrrrrrefully... coiling up the excess copper tubing, and secure that coil firmly but gently with zip ties.

If you need some additional pics of our installation, beyond what's in the big reefer thread on this site already, let me know and I will try to send them along.

Happy Holidays, and here's to your enjoying cold drinks next summer.
:cool:
Loren

Last edited: