• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Linking" to external photos

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For those with the time and inclination to actively police their own links, this would be a helpful thing. For the other 50% (or 75%+) it seems to lead to dead links within XX months. :rolleyes:
(At least judging by other sailing sites that I visit often.)

I agree that clicking and going to a larger more-detailed picture would be nice at times. I guess that, as some might put it, I just 'do not have a dog in this fight' since I have never maintained an external photo site for my own stuff.

I would guess that there might maybe be some other admin. issues around ouside links that a spammer might put in that subsequently have to be exorcised by a moderator or the administrator. :confused:

Not the answer you might want, but best that I can do for now...
As a crusty old sailing buddy and former main-framer likes to kid me about: being as I use a Mac, i.e. a toy, I do even own a real computer! :)

Happy Turkey Day to you and yours!

Loren
:egrin:

Maine Sail

Member III
For those with the time and inclination to actively police their own links, this would be a helpful thing. For the other 50% (or 75%+) it seems to lead to dead links within XX months. :rolleyes:
(At least judging by other sailing sites that I visit often.)

I agree that clicking and going to a larger more-detailed picture would be nice at times. I guess that, as some might put it, I just 'do not have a dog in this fight' since I have never maintained an external photo site for my own stuff.

I would guess that there might maybe be some other admin. issues around ouside links that a spammer might put in that subsequently have to be exorcised by a moderator or the administrator. :confused:

Not the answer you might want, but best that I can do for now...
As a crusty old sailing buddy and former main-framer likes to kid me about: being as I use a Mac, i.e. a toy, I do even own a real computer! :)

Happy Turkey Day to you and yours!

Loren

Loren,

This is a non-issue. On SBO if a link is dead in a while it is dead but we find it happens rarely. I am an admin on Sailboatowners.com (one of the largest sailing forms on the net) and this just is a non-issue.

Uploading photos to any of these servers IS almost ALWAYS an issue and as a result people post less photos. Perhaps 2% of the photos on SBO are "uploaded" with the other 98% being hot linked.

Photos are helpful so if they are there when the thread is alive and doing well that is great for reader. If someone stumbles on it years later, and the link is dead, they can simply ask for a picture again and will probably be provided one of the members.

Other forums on THIS site ALLOW hot linking? I do it all the time here. The "link" I posted above could go dead just as easily so why not block hyper-linking too? Please at least let folks SEE the photos what or where is the harm in that?

Those of us with LARGE photo databases are not going to upload or go through the re-size process of our photos to every site we use. It is why we host them elsewhere.

ANY link, photo, video or hyperlink can go dead! Remember Jack Rabbit Marine & others that have followed their fate. We DO still have the ability to hot link to web addresses or videos than can also become defunct? So why the prejudice to just photo linking? Links are links whether they display a .jpg or a .wmv or a http://.

I see NO logical reasoning for this overly cautious policy. No other sailing forums that I use block the ability for hot linking of photos.

What do all these forums have in common?

Cruiserforums
Sailboat Owners Forums
Cape Dory forums
Plastic Classic
Catalina 34
Catalina 36
Points East Magazine Forums
Sailing Anarchy Forums
Practical Boat Owner Forums
Anything Sailing Forums
Hunter Owners Forum
O'Day owners Forum
Trailer Sailors Forums
CS-BB Forum
SSCA Forums
CS Yachts Forum
Cruisers Log Forum
Lats & Atts Forums
Maine Coast Forums
Cruising World Forums
Boat US Forums
Renegade Cruisers Forum
Spar Talk / Brion Toss's Forum

Etc. etc. on and on and on...

THEY ALL ALLOW HOT LINKING OF PHOTOGRAPHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Please fix this guys, you are robbing the members here of good visual data!

P.S. This site DOES allow hot linking just not in this particular forum. This is an EASY fix in the admin panel of vBulletin.

See this THREAD (LINK)

or this one:

THREAD (LINK)

See NO NEED to click for a larger image they just appear and don't hog up your server for bandwidth as it is using the band width from my web site for the photos!!

Please add the feature back on all forums. Why deprive your members when ALL forms of links can go dead???:confused:

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why a thread move

Maine Sail makes some good points. Since this is really not related to its origin in a maintenance forum, this seems like a better location for it.
Loren

Maine Sail

Member III
Maine Sail makes some good points. Since this is really not related to its origin in a maintenance forum, this seems like a better location for it.
Loren

Yes, we had some drift going on over there.. Sorry for the thread drift and thanks for moving this... Oh and look I can link a photo in this forum but not in the otehr one?..;)

106350822.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, we had some drift going on over there.. Sorry for the thread drift and thanks for moving this... Oh and look I can link a photo in this forum but not in the otehr one?..;)

And the proof is an Ericson photo, too! :)
Is that Tim's former boat?

Note that Sean is quite busy for the next few weeks, but he checks in often and will doubtless look this over.

From some very limited personal excursions into Admin panel functions I can state that its many different permutations of "permissions" can be ... challenging...
:p

Cheers,
L

Joe

Member II
My experience of forum software is different. I find, in general, that when the text and images of a posting reside on the same server, under the same URL, there is seldom, if ever, any loss of image data. One of the great benefits of this site's main forums are that I can always expect the images associated with a technical posting to be present.

On the other hand, I find that most sites that allow the text and images to reside on different servers have substantial synchronization problems, with the dreaded 'image not found' icon showing up with frustrating regularity. This is especially true with older postings, as when one is searching through voluminous historical discussions.

There are legions of free sites, where users posted their personal images, that don't exist anymore.

I agree that it takes considerable extra effort to duplicate and upload one's images to this site, but 20 years from now the record will still be complete.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Linking Images vs. Uploading Them

Maine Sail:

Since I put this site together - I thought I might add to this.

The comment about having a complete record is my goal - there are way, way WAY too many sites which have broken links - and that was not the goal for this site.

Also, not permitting linking of images puts an emphasis on images which are important to the issue being discussed - if there is no cost to the user (time-wise) - then all kinds of stuff ends up getting linked, then they break, etc. This way, the user has to consider what images really mean something to him, etc (choosing the number five was not done lightly).

Besides - you can provide links to your own Image Bucket pages of your kids birthday sails or whatever - so that's not an issue.

Any inconsistency between forum permissions is my fault - and will be added to the To Do list - I promise!

//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ah HA!

It knew it would not take long.... Take a look at Post #1 on the following thread, and tell me if you can spot a problem that is related to the context of this discussion!

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?6515-Unwanted-Visitor-on-Sailboat

THAT is why I want images, etc uploaded - because I hate this kind stuff coming up later on. Without the article she posted, much of the context of what she was relating is/was lost on future readers....

//sse

Last edited: