• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1974 ericson 27

Jon Libby

Member II
New owners of this wonderfully kept boat, looking forward to a great season with it.

I thought we had a boat with the atomic-4 put our boat yard crew didn't think so. There is a palmer sticker just under the stairs, so I'm guessing it's a palmer. How good of a thing is this? The inboard does not look to be moused in. And the survery and engine test were very good. Was the atomic-4 the only in board option. It is gas, not diesel, I'm sure.. Any comments, thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Palmer gas engine...

I have seen one before in a production boat from about the same era. As I recall it was a flathead design and had a decent reputation. You may need to do some searching on the 'net and your yellow pages for parts, if you ever need any. The one I saw some years ago popped a "soft plug" during a winter freezing spell because the owner had not drained the block. I was told that it suffered no harm and ran ok after the plug was replaced in the spring.
Fair winds and smooth seas.
Loren

SteveS

Member II
'74 E27 Palmer Engine

I have a 1974 E27 with a Palmer P60 engine (green paint). I thought it was perhaps used to replace a bad atomic 4 but maybe it was standard on some models. I have some additional info on the engine if interested.

SteveS

Member II
1974 E27 with Palmer Engine

Thought I would post some photos of my Palmer engine. It is actually an International Harvester IH60 block out of the Cub tractors and has 22HP at 3000 RPM. I am having mine rebuilt at an industrial tractor repair facility for alot less than rebuilding Atomic 4s.

www.cool-ink.com/Boat/Engine1.jpg

www.cool-ink.com/Boat/Palmer_1.jpg

I am curious if Ericson may have bought out some remaining Palmer engines, when Palmer ceased production in 1974, and put them in some of their models.

Attachments

• palmer_1.jpg
    palmer_1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 470