• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Just discovered my boat is/was documented.

CaptDan

Member III
Just spoke with the California DMV. Apparently they are supposed to receive some kind of notice from the Coast Guard that the boat has been returned to documentation and is no longer subject to state registration. That apparently hasn't happened yet. They said if I receive a renewal notice from the DMV in October to send them a copy of the COD to show that I no longer need to pay the registration fee or display the registration sticker and number. Also, it now seems that the title I received from the DMV is no longer necessary to transfer ownership of the boat; there is a form on the back of the COD that accomplishes this.

I wouldn't rely on the California DMV to receive anything. That bureucracy is notorious for errors and omissions. I'd make a copy of your doc paper, and send it registered mail to the appropriate Sacramento DMV office. Then you'd have proof should, for some reason, you keep getting billed (and fined) for tardy registration fees.

Also, once your vessel is officially documented, the State Title is no longer a valid ownership document. As you say, the COD serves that legal purpose.

In an earlier post, you mentioned possibly taking a USCG captain's licensing course. If you're seeking to obtain that license, your old California vessel title could come in handy to prove sea time on your own vessel. As a part of the (lengthy} application process, copies of CODs/titles are among the many documentation requirements. So, you might want to tuck that old title away in a safe place.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

CaptDan

Member III
You might want to read up on the evacuation at Dunkirk. WW II

Yes - in theory, documented boats can be conscripted (seized) and used in military duty. However, not since WWII (to my knowledge) has that happened to any private US flagged yacht.

I think there's a better chance of losing a rudder or going aground. But nothing in life is guaranteed.

Right? :)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mikebat

Member III
Having a current OR (or on our river a WA) sticker does make a large difference in their initial assessment of a boat.

I would guess that that the USCG would not view you any differently in any other state waters. Remember that they are applying nation wide rules and procedures.

In California documented vessels pay no state registration fee and do not have to display state numbers nor any state stickers.

upnorthfrank

Member II
I've been boarded three times in my life, twice by USCG on Lake Superior, & once by ICE (formerly INS or border patrol) on Galveston Bay one night last fall. No problems, had all my gear straight etc. I figure they're just out for their quotas or maybe just bored & looking for something to do. I don't mind, I even got to go aboard their 47' cutter, wow what a nice boat, twin Detroit diesels w/ chrome valve covers etc. So clean you could eat off the top of the engines. I would just love to strap in & do cartwheels out on the Columbia bar on one of those cutters. Especially if DoD is buying the gas!!!