• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine survey E34

franson08

The surveyor’s report began by saying “the engine and related systems appear to have been well cared for, engine starts and runs clean, no exhaust smoke or fuel on the water, shifts forward to reverse cleanly.”

The report also said ”Propeller shaft recently had some work to include installing a max propeller and alignment by [a very reputable boat yard]. I checked the shaft for rotation and it initially did not turn , very stiff, it worked lose but I could feel a slight binding in the shaft at one spot, its not misalignment issue, if it were it would bind constantly, just one spot, maybe calcification, could be a lightly bent shaft. Needs to check out." The surveyor went on to say the problem os minor.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions. :egrin:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Boat in the water or out? Not unusual for a shaft alignment to be perfect in water and out on the hard. The hull flexes differently from water to land. Checking alignment is a simple task if not tedious. Run it in gear for a while, if no vibration and the gland is dripping water appropriately it should be fine. A "calcification" problem should correct itself after a short run in gear. RT

franson08

The engine survey was done when the boat was in water. The boat survey is coming up and will include both in and out of water.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine Survey

Ancient history now... but in the 90's we bought our boat in Alameda. Our surveyor recommended a local mechanic for an engine survey. He did a compression check and a good physical inspection. When he found that, under the undisturbed paint, the exhaust elbow metal was rusted thru he instantly saved me more than his fee. His survey was in-water only.

I got a good quick lecture on diesels and their care and feeding. It was a good experience.

Nowadays I have two friends here that are diesel mechanics. They both seem to enjoy "teaching" as much as working on 'em.

Those Universal diesels are very long lived, and I hope that yours is also in good shape.
Ours had about 1000 hrs on it in '94, and about 2000 hours now.

Loren

Last edited: