• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fund Raising 2010-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that the "Announcement" at the top of each forum page now shows a message asking for your support to pay the site costs for another year. Payment is quite easy - by PayPal or by mailing a check. Amount is up to you.
:cool:
So, for all the times throughout the year when you tuned in and often commented on how pleased you were to have this courteous and knowledgeable resource available, here is the annual request to help keep it going.

Thank You. Sincerely.

Loren

:egrin:

Lucky Dog

Member III
Hoping this was me and not my apple. I could not get to the paypal account. I had to break down and use my wife's dell. Got to go take a shower now.

Thanks Sean for all you do.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lucky,
You might have a password problem with how it's saved - might want to check that particular list in Safari prefs.
I used Paypal for this recently with my old iMac, with no problem.
But however you did it, thanks for your support!
:egrin:
Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I can only guess at the many "man hours" that go into keeping this site active. I am also assuming that there are other actual "out of pocket" costs to maintain a website like this. Can anyone give us an idea of how much it actually costs per year? This might help me and others to determine an appropriate and affordable donation, and ensure that we cover the costs appropriately.

Thanks to all who keep it going--it is a great resource!!

Frank

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Donation

I've setup and maintained web forums in the past (part of what I do for a living). The direct recurring costs depend on where/how the site is hosted, though a good chunk of the effort (at least as I've seen it) is with monitoring the content and taking action accordingly. I've seen plenty of good web forum ideas fail simply because the content got stale, or irrelevant, or was tough to use (and then nobody came to the site). We are fortunate to have moderators on this site who are both knowledgeble AND responsive: Very rare qualities in most disciplines.

Regardless, I can affirmatively state that the guidance and ideas I've received from the site have saved me many headaches and time. I am happy to offer my support.

Frank Langer

I agree. Who do we make the cheque payable to, and where do we send it? I'm a bit of an old timer and don't use paypal. :confused:

Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I can only guess at the many "man hours" that go into keeping this site active. I am also assuming that there are other actual "out of pocket" costs to maintain a website like this. Can anyone give us an idea of how much it actually costs per year? This might help me and others to determine an appropriate and affordable donation, and ensure that we cover the costs appropriately.

Thanks to all who keep it going--it is a great resource!!

Frank

Greetings -

To answer your question, it costs about $500 a year to maintain this site - that's just monetary cost. That's assuming nothing has really changed and the costs are more or less stable. For instance, last year Jelsoft changed their licensing procedure - and stopped 'leasing' licenses for our vBulletin software - and instead - for the first time in ten years - forced us to purchase them outright (at a higher cost) - so that bumped the cost up. But basically speaking, it's more or less around $500 a year...

Of course, that does not include time put into the site to maintain it (let alone overhaul it like last year - or the year before - whenever it was), run the software updates, toss out the spammers, hand-admit each new applicant after checking their IP to be assured they're not bots (between 5-10-14 a day) and occasionally have to step in to knock people's heads together then they start fussing with each other (I won't go into details on that one...). And - that's just me - that does not even begin to address what the moderators do - who are not paid but who 'keep an eye on things' - which is a lot all by itself.

Typically what has happened each year is that we see some new donors each year, we lose some each year, there are a couple who always donate (even though I tell them not to, as it's not fair) and there are a bunch who never donate at all (I don't try and figure out who they are - I really have more important stuff to do).

Anyhow - it's late and I've got a full schedule tomorrow - and need to get to sleep. Needless to say, your support of the site is very much appreciated - without it, the site would be forced to go to a paid subscription format - which, I would imagine - would probably kill it.

On the bright side, however - January 1st will be our 10th Anniversary....so, you know - I'm hopeful! :egrin:

Thanks everyone,
//sse

Frank Langer

Historic moment, my first ever use of Pay Pal! :egrin:
Thanks for making this process easy, Sean.

Frank
1984 E30+
Nanaimo, BC

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Fund Raising Time is here

Hi Sean. Thanks for all the work you do to make the website so user friendly. I really appreciate being able to review the comments (presented in an organized fashion) by other Ericson owners. They often point me in the right direction when I am contemplating a repair or some upgrade to our boat. You are appreciated! The check is in the mail. Thanks. Dave

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
EY.o Fund Raising 2010-11 - Success! & 10th Anniversary

Thanks again to everyone who contributed in the fund raiser this year - it means a great deal to us. January 1st marked our Tenth Anniversary - and without owners like you, I doubt we would have made it to this point.

Sorry about putting this up so late - but the quarter just ended and it was a major effort - and I'm running down the backlog now!

Cheers Everyone! :egrin:

//sse

ps: I'm closing this thread and unsticking it to keep discussions up to date...

Status
Not open for further replies.