• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

which manual pump for holding tank?

davisr

Member III
I am putting in a new head. I plan to route the outlet hose from the toilet to the holding tank. From there I plan to route one outlet hose to a deckplate for dockside pumpout, and another outlet hose to a through-hull for manual pumpout while underway.

Whale sells two different "Mark V" manual pumps. One is called a "Universal Pump," the other a "Sanitation Pump." Their prices are almost identical as are their specs. The "Universal" is much more flexible in terms of mounting options and usage options. The "Sanitation," on the other hand, appears to be designed specifically for waste, since the Whale website only lists the "Sanitation" model under the heading of "sanitation."

Anybody have a personal experience with either one of these pumps?

UNIVERSAL

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|84462|316440&id=152781

500874.jpg

SANITATION

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|84462|316440|315120&id=152810

500877.jpg

Thanks,
Roscoe

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
If using a manual pump, why put everything into the holding tank, even with a pump out? Either go directly overboard from the head, OR to the holding tank to "store" it. Lots less work.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reasons for complications

If using a manual pump, why put everything into the holding tank, even with a pump out? Either go directly overboard from the head, OR to the holding tank to "store" it. Lots less work.

You're right... you could eliminate the part of the system that allows pumping out your tank in international waters, but Ericson always put in this extra choice option. I like it.
Others doing all of their boating in inland waters might find no use for it. (Another reason for this pump out option is that Ericson Yachts built all of their mid-size and larger boats for coastal and open-water cruising/racing and designed the waste handling system for maximum flexibility.)

Note that having this can also be a lifesaver on those times when you have tried to stay legal, filled up your h.t., and then found no functioning pump-out stations in your vicinity. And, that's not an uncommon situation.:p

LB

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Technically if you have an overboard discharge valve in your head plumbing it has to have a locking device and be locked if you are within the three mile limit. If you are on a fresh water lake it would have to be locked all the time.

I have the overboard discharge option, either directly from the head or from the holding tank. I think I have used it maybe twice to actually discharge sewage overboard from the tank. Mostly I use it to run fresh water through the overboard discharge line from the tank to keep the line and pump as clean as possible.

davisr

Member III
Yes, what Loren said. I want to have the option of pumping the tank overboard, especially if, for some reason, there is no dockside pumpout readily available. I should note that, in this thorough renovation of the head, I've also decided to eliminate the existing Y-valve that stands between the toilet and the holding tank. In other words, I've eliminated my ability to pump directly overboard from the toilet itself. Everything must first go into the holding tank. I figure this keeps things more simple and makes me less subject to ticketing.

Loren, I read the thread that you included. You mention in that thread that your Whale Mark V allowed for flexibility in terms of the direction in which the 1 1/2 inch ports could be set. Am I reading that correctly? Does the white pump have this capability?

Thanks,
Roscoe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup. You can orient the direction of flow in many directions. It's a nice design.

Loren