• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Normal cruising speed for different E boats

Cajunspike

Member II
Just had my E27 out on Lake Pontchartain in New Orleans, using only the 130% front sail(no main sail).

According to Navionics on my cell, the boat got up to 6.5 knots max on that trip. Was wondering if that was a decent speed for the situation or not.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Since the hull speed for an E27 is 6.0 knots, that suggests that there was a bit of current helping out or a momentary satellite error.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
According to Navionics on my cell, the boat got up to 6.5 knots max on that trip. Was wondering if that was a decent speed for the situation or not.

Would also need to know wind speed, point of sail, how many beers left in the fridge, :)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, but sometimes a boat can exceed the rated hull speed under the right conditions - - current, surfing a wave, heeling to increase the waterline, etc.
For sure, you achieved very good speed, especially with only the headsail up. Maybe you just have a super fast boat!!!
Frank

Grizz

Grizz
Hull Speed?

This image of 8.4 on the Datamarine Speedo, captured while sailing fully crewed 3 years ago, in 18+ knots true, off the wind, under A-sail, while on a very (very?) thin edge close-to-broach run. Our record spike boatspeed that's been witnessed (so far) is 12.2, glimpsed while sluicing down the backside of steep 6-8 footers, with speed decreasing as we climbed the next wave. At night, pitch dark, all helm 'feel', not fun, certainly an experience.

So, yes, it's definitely possible to exceed theoretical hull speed, especially off wind.

JOG Mac 2015 (57).jpg

p.gazibara

Member III
Lots of info on here!

I's say our average on Cinderella is in the 5-8kt range on pretty much all points of sail.

Before we left, on the flat, current free water of Lake Union, we pushed Cinderella very hard on a close reach and cruised at 8kts. She was squatting very hard, and we had water about 2-3 inches from coming over the stern rail. Our main was 19 years old and heavily raced, and we had a big blast reacher up front.

Now, our main is 20 years old, heavily raced, and cruised over 10k nm. I don't imagine performance is anywhere near what it was before we left, and I can't imagine what a new sail would feel like.

When she loads up to the 7-8kt range downwind at sea, she starts to dance. On the bigger waves she surfs for a bit, but never too long, and never much over 12kts. The windvane is fighting pretty hard to keep her on track.

I only ever push her that hard when the sun is up, I've had a beer or a puff and I'm having fun at the helm.

Usually I reef her down and sit between 6-7kts and the surfs are only to about 8 or 9ish kts. The windvane does all the work, and things are comfortable.

As far as the windward stuff goes, I cant remember a time when the water was flat and there wasn't any current... But usually we outrun all the other cruisers. Turns out even Tayana 50s can't hang with us when we have to harden the sheets. But realistically we can sail into the trades and Cinderella will sit between 5-6kts. Usually I depower her a bit otherwise the slamming off the back sides of the waves is gut wrenching.

-p