• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Normal cruising speed for different E boats

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Although I no longer enter races, I am a stickler for maximizing boat speed on our E30+. She sails well and I can readily tell when sail trim is correct and she is sailing to her potential, or close to that. I have been pleasantly surprised that she can sail faster than her rated technical hull speed (1.34 x the square root of the waterline length, about 6.6 knots for our boat). I have often wondered how our E30+ compares with other Ericsons, both newer and older models, hence this post.

It might be fun to get a comparison of what you would consider your average, and your best, cruising speed in your boat. This will require some honesty to get a true, reliable picture. I am thinking of what you would be able to replicate on a fairly regular basis, based on your knotmetre reading (trying to exclude tidal currents, etc.), not counting surfing down waves, etc.

For example, on our E30+, with mainsail and a 125% furling headsail, 15 knot wind, waves no larger than one foot, and clean hull with a folding propeller and no dinghy in tow, I can fairly easily reach 6.8 knots and if I have everything tweaked just right, 7.8 knots. On most days under these conditions, that is achievable, but I can't reach 8.0 knots without a bit of help from a following wave, etc. I think this is pretty fast for a boat of this size, but maybe I'm a bit biased...:egrin:

I would be really interested in similar information on other Ericsons.

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good thread idea!
While our design can (in better hands than mine) hit 10+ with some wave push...
We have sailed it on a reach in about 15 kts of TWS, making over 9 kts. This was loaded for cruising, but with clean bottom and the feathering prop.
Our speed to weather is about 6.5 to 7. in good winds.

Absent the help of large rollers to surf down, I suspect than many similar-size E-boats can come close to this in a good breeze.

My MORC-derived hull form is probably faster than yours off the wind, but you have some advantage going to weather. When I have helmed an E-33RH in a decent breeze, I can tell that it loves going to weather better than our boat. OTOH, off the wind in 18+ the 33RH was limited to about 8.5 kts with the chute up. The good news is that it was relatively easy to control in those conditions... while we watched a nearby C&C do a spectacular round up.

It's just a subjective personal comfort thing, but I kinda like fractional rig boats with chutes up... I seem to have a lot more control.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Emerald

Now, remembering that the Independence 31 is a rather stout cruiser at a displacement of 11,400, a modified full keel, transom mounted rudder and a bit of overhang - only 23'11" waterline, I think she does well once the breeze is about 12+ knots. I seem to be able to consistently sail about 6.2-6.5 knots uphill and reaching, and if things are right, I get up to about 7.2-7.4 knots. The other day I was out on smooth water and about 12-14 knots apparent wind, and was just sailing along about 35 degrees off the wind at a consistent 7.2-7.4 knots through the water. I think the fastest I've seen through the water is about 7.5-7.6. Also, I appear to have about an extra 400+ pounds of lead in my main sump, and in an exchange with Bruce King, was advised to leave it. She's nice and stiff. I've made no attempt to lighten my load e.g. I have about any and everything on board for extended cruising from a grill on the stern pulpit to an Avon in the cockpit lockers. For those not familiar with her underbody, here's a link to Emerald on the hard:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/misc/onland2c.jpg

Frank Langer

Thanks, guys! That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to generate--I debated with myself whether such a post would just generate controversy, but decided to take a chance... and you have once again shown why we love this site!

David, your boat really is beautiful. And for a slightly heavier boat with shorter water line length, she goes pretty well!!

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to more replies.

Frank

Sven

Seglare
With our huge genoa our top sustained speed ever was 8.4 kts but we typically max out at 7.3-7.5 which is about right.

On one really windy and foggy day we did a wonderful 8 kts for a long time. I think our effective waterline is several feet more than 30 when heeled which could explain the excess speed.

-Sven

Guy Stevens

My best on an E-39

My best on an e-39 was 198 in 24 hours so averaged about 8.25 offshore. I believe without checking the log that we had egg plant parmesan that night, mochas and homemade scones for breakfast, and home made macaroni and cheese for lunch. It was however too rough for a scrabble tournament.

:)

We later cracked a 225 mile day in Pneuma the same e-39, but I know there was a current assist in that case, and don't count it...

I don't know on the 46 yet, but she is quicker in the coastal stuff than Pneuma was, so I am hoping that we can turn in better than 200's with more regularity. I have had her about 10 quite a few times now, with the admiral steering, bugs on her teeth, when we hit 10.8. It will be good to see what she does offshore.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
1983 Ericson E381. The ST60+ speed instrument is uncalibrated so I cannot say for sure what actual speeds through the water are. I really only use that instrument for comparison to GPS, tells me how hard that current is pushing..... That said, GPS shows 6.2-6.5 upwind and 6.5-7.2 off the wind is pretty common. Best I've ever seen was just over 9kts but that was in really honking conditions I don't care to re-live. I don't feel the boat is all that fast however it usually takes something new and quick like a J-Boat to pass her. RT

CTOlsen

Member III
Increasing cruising speed

I added a deck mounted sprit and added about 1.0 kts to my off wind speed. Great for long distance racing in the lower Ches Bay, and easy to control with a sock for cruising. The 3' sprit extension cost me 3 sec/mile on handicap.

Attachments

• Profile Crop mini.jpg
    Profile Crop mini.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,673

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
My 35-2 usually hovers right about 8.0-8.1 and does not seem to care about wind direction. as long as I give her at least 38* ,she goes like hell and stays comfortable if you choose/ trim the sails to keep her there. It has gone faster but begrudgingly! Edd:egrin:

Frank Langer

8.0 - 8.1 is pretty fast! It is clear from the posts so far that the larger boats
(34, 35 & 38) do go faster, so I guess it's true that the longer the waterline, the faster the boat. :)

It also seems clear that there aren't any slow Ericsons! :egrin:

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
8.0 - 8.1 is pretty fast! It is clear from the posts so far that the larger boats
(34, 35 & 38) do go faster, so I guess it's true that the longer the waterline, the faster the boat. :)
It also seems clear that there aren't any slow Ericsons! :egrin:
Frank

I read an interview with N.A. Ted Brewer from at least a decade ago where he decried builders that laid out their interiors first and then forced a hull shape to fit around that interior. The fact that these were from the largest production builders selling them briskly to an uneducated public was not mentioned explicitly... but his take on it explains a lot about the types of "sailboats" that have succeeded in the last 20 years.

No matter who was the designer of an Ericson (or in my case an Olson), they always seemed to stress sailing ability and speed as the higher priority.

Not that I have any bias of course!
:cool:

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It seems that the designers of Ericsons knew what they were doing when they set out to build a racer/ cruiser. That is what mine was advertised as, and I find it a capable strong and comfortable cruiser. I also know from the long row of race win plaquets on her mast support, that she was in her day a very fast racer! even today it would be less than an embarrassment in capable hands! It is for a reason, no many reasons, that there are so many of them still out there in all parts of the world still making safe comfortable fast passages for their fanatical owners. THANKS MR. KING :egrin:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Wow Edd, that's fast. What kind of sails do you have?

In good conditions (10-15knts wind speed) my 1976 E27 sails at 5 to 6 knots. Surfing I have seen 9+ knots. I have a big fat fixed three blade prop.

sleather

Sustaining Member
It seems that the designers of Ericsons knew what they were doing when they set out to build a racer/ cruiser.

THANKS MR. KING
:egrin:

I thought I was going to take a serious hit when I upgraded to my E23 from a Cal 21. After all 1,100# vs 3,200# and 196 sq.ft. of sail vs 242 didn't seem to bode well for ultimate performance, especially in light air. I've had the opportunity to sail against my old boat a number of times, and although the Cal will beat it in really light air the tradeoffs where well worth it.

Frank Langer

So Steve, imagine what a nice E30 or E32 would do in comparison with your
E23!

However, having owned several boats of different sizes and sailing capability, I also learned that sailing is fun on any boat, speed is all relative, one can be proud of any boat that is loved and well cared for, and sometimes smaller is better. I sometimes have to remind myself of this when I start to feel a bit of "2 foot itis".

Frank.

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Wow Edd, that's fast. What kind of sails do you have?

I have a full set of newer Pineapple sails: a 85, 110, light & heavy 130s & 150s, a 180, a stay sail an asymmetrical & symmetrical spinnakers. My main has had the foot shortened 3' (gonna fix that) As I said The P/O was a racer. I chose the boat because it was a racer...thbest of everything to make it go but no extras. There were no mystery holes from long gone systems nor worn out equipment to buy then upgrade! And hank on sails are faster under a larger range of wind and make sailing less of a spectator sport!:egrin: Edd

Lawdog

Member III
E 29 and E 38

I do remember one time sailing on a broad reach with my 1976 E29, with stretched out mainsail and 130 jib, and hitting 8.8 kts on calm seas heading into Portland Harbor (Maine) at sunset, but that was the absolute fastest she ever went and we were probably doing a little surfing. Smooth as silk and we were howling as the speedo kept surging!
On my E38 with following seas leaving Oxnard for Newport Beach in the 2004 feeder race for the Newport Ensenda race, I hit 11.4 kts surfing down 10 to 12 foot seas and winds gusting to 35 kts with a double reefed main, and the boat was shaking and shimmying like shit, Scared the hell out of me, but two of us made the run in a little over 10 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
E38 Speed

I've been pleasantly surprised just how fast my E38 can go. My sails, mostly the main, are fairly bagged out....but nothing beats a lazy Sunday sail with just the 150 genoa out and easily doing 6.5kts in 10kts on the LI sound. A little shimmering from the prop spinning underneath her.

I only imagine what a new set of sails will do for her next season. :)

frick

Member III
My 1971 E29

I do remember one time sailing on a broad reach with my 1976 E29, with stretched out mainsail and 130 jib, and hitting 8.8 kts on calm seas heading into Portland Harbor (Maine) at sunset, but that was the absolute fastest she ever went and we were probably doing a little surfing. Smooth as silk and we were howling as the speedo kept surging!
On my E38 with following seas leaving Oxnard for Newport Beach in the 2004 feeder race for the Newport Ensenda race, I hit 11.4 kts surfing down 10 to 12 foot seas and winds gusting to 35 kts with a double reefed main, and the boat was shaking and shimmying like shit, Scared the hell out of me, but two of us made the run in a little over 10 hours.

I find that my E29 sails fast when I'm between 15 to 17 percent heel. over 20% and boat slows down.
Also best point of sail Beam Reach. I too have sustain 8.8 knots on a beem reach with very large rolling wake following me.

However when cruising... I general plan on an average of about 5 miles and hour over ground. If I drop to below the magic 5 MPH, I turn on the diesel. Mainly because I am planning to sail with tides and want to be i the right place at the right time.

I sail most of the time with 130 Genoa and main. I also have a traditional shoot in a Sock.

Rick