• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23 MarkII Spinnaker pole

mfherbert

Thanks for the info. Now I can proceed. I don't have a spinnaker so I'm trying to find a good used one and obviously I need a pole.

Mike

sleather

Sustaining Member
One thing to take into consideration, shipping over 10' is really expensive, but if you order it through West Marine it will be shipped to the "local" store at no cost, so it might be a wash. I'm in the same boat, so to speak(want a chute), and tried to make a deal on a used pole in Texas, but the shipping killed the deal. :mad:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Mike,

I'm pretty sure a spinnaker pole can be a bit longer than your "J" measurement by a small percent. You might check with your racing committee, if you have one.

When I was having a new headsail made for my E23 Mk1 the sail-maker (Santa Cruz Sails) said that the hoist was the same as a Moore 24. Moore 24's are very competitive so you might be able to get a decent used spinnaker from that fleet.

SurabyaKid

Member III
On shipping spinnaker poles:

I made my spinnaker pole for this very reason.

I found an EBay vendor who had a reasonably priced pair of 2" new end fittings for $150. A local metal supply shop was able to source a 12' piece of aluminum tubing for me for $115. My J is 10.5 so I just cut the tubing to meet the end to end of 10.5. My total cost was ~$280 after the uphaul and downhaul fittings, which was far cheaper than the kits available from WM.

Pat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pole-ish thoughts

While it's been a couple decades since I built a spinn. pole for our prior boat, I still have the hand-and-wrench swager I bought to do the bridles and trip lines.
If you have access to a bench mounted one in a chandlers that would be better in some ways, and less so in others.
I bought an alum. tube from a local metals supply house and like others here found a deal on the ends for it.
One other thing I did (and have done again when rebuilding the pole for our present boat) is to stuff the inside with foam peanuts. If you lose it over the side in a busy mark rounding at least it will float until you circle back for it!
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Attachments

• 129817.jpg
    129817.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 53

sleather

Sustaining Member
One other thing I did (and have done again when rebuilding the pole for our present boat) is to stuff the inside with foam peanuts. If you lose it over the side in a busy mark rounding at least it will float until you circle back for it!
:rolleyes:

GREAT IDEA!!! Did you test it? :egrin:
You could also use a sharpened "pole cutoff" to punch out closed cell foam(I just happened to find a sheet of 3" the other day :rolleyes:). Gee that's only 40 cutouts.:nerd:

Last edited:

sleepingsquirrel

You will get tired of punching 40 foam plugs , why not just cut two and use Gorilla Glue to seal the tube with the plugs at each end. The pole will be lighter and it will still float. Just be sure to recess the foam plugs so the end fittings will seat properly. While you are at it add just enough weight at one end so if it goes overboard it will stand upright in the water making high speed pick up possible. Could be done by placing the foam plug in the right spot and drilling a vent/fill hole to let water in one end of the pole.

sleather

Sustaining Member
You will get tired of punching 40 foam plugs , why not just cut two and use Gorilla Glue to seal the tube with the plugs at each end. The pole will be lighter and it will still float. Just be sure to recess the foam plugs so the end fittings will seat properly.

That's the great thing about Group Think :headb: :hail:

missalot

Member II
Mike,

It's a little short, but I have a 9' 3" pole hanging in the shop and you are welcome to it. I am in Anacortes also. If you found a piece of pole material you could transfer all the parts.