• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop Options

mggilmore

Member II
I'm a new owner of an Ericson 32. I'm considering putting a new prop on the boat because I'm not impressed with the ability of the 2 blade prop to push the boat through rough water. I'm concerned about the additional prop drage of a 3-bladed prop but I don't think I'm concerned enough to plop down the money needed for a folding prop. Any opinions on re-proping an E32 with the Universal 25 engine would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mike

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I can see it now!

Ever heard the saying ask a hundred people..... Well I see a lively debate on this thread and in the end you will be back to the same advantages and disadvantages you note. A cruiser is gonna tell you he didn't notice a big drag with a 3 blade. The racers are gonna say the folding is the only way to go and the money conscious among us will compromise and say the 3 blade works a bit better but isn't worth the money. Then someone is gonna chime in that a real sailor sails... and doesn't need any prop! Oh the can you opened! Good luck , Edd:egrin::rolleyes:

Michael Edwards

Member II
Prop talk

I just posted this on Moyer Marine community site. If you still have an A-4 engine in your E-32, you may be interested in our experince. We installed the Indigo prop in 2006.

AnnaDor has the
Indigo 3 blade
10" diameter
7.4" pitch
Ericson LOA 32'
LWL 26'
10,500# (+)
10.5' beam
WOT 2200 rpm
Top speed 6.0 at 1900 rpm

We took the 12x9 off because of lugging and pulsation on the rudder.
We are satisfied with the exception - the drag of three blades is more than we like. The choices of three blade folders just are not there for 3/4" shaft and less than 12" dia. I don't think we would like a 2 blade folder, but have looked at the 'Flexofold' to get the most sailing speed.
Overall the Indigo performs far better than the original, even when fouled with growth. The only problem we experinced was that the first one was eaten up in a few months due to electric problems at the dock. We will install the new one soon.
Michael

rvivian

Member I
Indigo Prop

One of the guys at my marina has an E-29 with a diesel and recently contacted Tom and bought and installed an Indigo Prop for his boat.

He is very happy with it.

RWV

mggilmore

Member II
Campbell Prop

Thanks for the information everyone. Looks like I have some homework to do. Does anyone have an opinion on the Campbell fixed 3-bladed sailing prop?
Thanks
Mike

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Yes, they work just fine. Have had a 3 blade fixed on our C34 with an M25 for the past 13 years. Love it. With our one-design fair handicapping rules we did very well when we raced. Our boat, like yours, does well in light air, too. I never feel like we're dragging a bucket around. I also like the fact of one less thing with moving parts under the water line.

windjunkee

Member III
I have an E-32. I pulled the old two blade fixy and put on a 2 blade Max Prop feathering prop. Its pricey, but it works as advertised and backs like a dream. If you don't race, its probably not worth it though as the prop cost north of $1400.00.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason
E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

robjpowell

Member II
< Deleted text >
Overall the Indigo performs far better than the original, even when fouled with growth. The only problem we experinced was that the first one was eaten up in a few months due to electric problems at the dock. We will install the new one soon.
Michael

I have just caught up with this thread. We suffered the same corrosion of an Indigo prop. Prior to moving to Boston in 2007 I replace the PO's fixed 2 blade with the Indigo 3 blade. It worked wonderfully on a delivery from Baltimore to Boston that involved over 40h of motoring. However, when hauled that winter it was severely corroded -to the extent that it was not repairable. I was not able to attribute blame to either the marina in Baltimore or the one here in Boston. Despite it providing good speed and comfortable motoring we replaced it with the 2 blade CDI plastic special. While the motoring performance is slightly hampered and the backing is a right royal pain in the rear (HUGE walk to port) I am happier not having to worry about any corrosion possibility. It is also worth noting that since I purchased the prop in 2006/2007 the language on the Indigo website has been toned down in regards to the ability of the Silicon Bronze alloy to resist Galvanic corrosion. I would hazard a guess that there have been more than a few of us caught out.

Rob

Emerald

I can't tell what the long term corrosion performance was because I sold the boat before any signs of deterioration occurred, but I had a stainless steel Indigo prop on my prior E-27. Might be worth seeing if he still sells them in stainless. I loved the motoring performance of this prop with an A4.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a Variprofile 3 blade feathering prop from Variprop on my E38. I needed 4 years to work up the courage to drop the coin on this prop. It has more than exceeded my expectations. Better performance under power, almost no prop walk in reverse and easily worth 1/2kt to 1kt under sail. Much better in light air, acceleration you can feel after completing a tack, etc. Better helm feel which I think is due to less turbulent water over the rudder. If I knew it was going to make that much of a difference I would have done it sooner. The price however will take your breath away. Hey, its only money! RT