• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Datamarine Instruments

lbertran

Member III
I'll be hauling out the boat for the Winter and dropping the mast for new wiring and standing rigging. I also plan to replace Datamarine intruments with Simrad IS20 wind and depth/speed. I currently have two through hull transducers in close proximity, one for depth and one for speed. The Simrad only uses one transducer for both depth and speed. Is there a good reason for removing the left over, obsolete transducer? I like the idea of one fewer hole in the bottom but these through hull transducers have never leaked and I like leaving well enough alone too. Any guidance? Thanks as always!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
In another thread rhewitt may be looking for a Datamarine speed transducer. Perhaps yours would work for him?

If you look around inside the hull where the transducers are installed you may find a "dummy" plug that goes in the through hull when the transducer is removed. One of my transducer through hull fittings has the dummy plug installed and it works fine, no leaks. The dummy plugs for my transducers were attached to the actual transducers with a short length of line so they wouldn't get lost in the bilge.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Datamarine Speed Transducer

Hi, Mark-
I do plan to post all of the salvaged Datamarine instrument displays and transducers for sale as soon as they're removed. Everything works and I had the wind transducer rebuilt by Datamarine two years ago. Thanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Laura, the existing depth transducer will probably work with the new instruments. So I would replace the speed with the new combo unit and leave the depth as a spare. You could even mount the old DM at the NAV station as a backup.

lbertran

Member III
Hi, Tim

Yes, I was planning on removing the paddlewheel speed transducer to accomodate the new transducer. Leaving the depth transducer in as a spare sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

Jopaka

Datamarine anemometer

I'd be interested in the anemometer if it's still available. My choices are to rebuild existing one or buy a used one. Yours being rebuilt two years ago seems ideal. I'm close to Annapolis too! Steve.

lbertran

Member III
Hi, Jopaka

Yes, the wind transducer is available. I had thought to try to sell the gear as a set, or at least the tansducers and displays together so I'll be listing it all on this site shortly. However, depending on demand for individual parts, that may be the way to go. Thanks.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Chris... not meaning to argue with you, but I personally have not seen a Datamarine Link 5000 main unit on EBAY or even the associated remote displaly for it. I check often. I've seen transducers and other components but not the main unit. If anyone sees one please post the url here or email me.

CSMcKillip

Chris... not meaning to argue with you, but I personally have not seen a Datamarine Link 5000 main unit on EBAY or even the associated remote displaly for it. I check often. I've seen transducers and other components but not the main unit. If anyone sees one please post the url here or email me.

I picked up a main unit, 4 remote displays, and the helm display - link 5000 on ebay two months ago along with all new tranducers, compass and wind guage. It was a by it now deal and I gave a good amount for them. Last month I came across another Link 5000 unit with just tge helm display, I bought them also. Last week there was another main unit and tge 4 mini displays listed seperatly, 100.00 for tge main unit and 25.00 per mini display. I think I still have the contact info on these, I will check.

My wife thinks I have gone nuts, but I want the boat vintage, and electronics break.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
With a newborn at home I have not been on this board much so I missed this post initially....

I cannot recommend the Simrad IS20 system. I had it, installed it, and had nothing but trouble with it. I replaced every single piece of it trying to troubleshoot it. Simrads support really, really sucked. Their response to any problem is to just replace parts. My local dealer had no answer for me. I eventually had to remove it all and put a Raymarine ST60+ system in.

Now I tried the Simrad system two years ago and it was brand new at the time. I was the first system the local dealer had sold. I was also the last. That says something. Simrads autopilots are great, I have one. The W/S/D system is what sucked. Intermittent function of all the units with no solutions.

There you are. I pray you don't go through the crap I did.

If I was going to do it all again I would look hard a the Furuno system. The Raymarine has been okay, some issues with the masthead sensor.

RT

Last edited:

Emerald

[snip]
My wife thinks I have gone nuts, but I want the boat vintage, and electronics break.

Not nuts at all. I think that for many of us, the old DMI instruments provide all the information needed and are plenty accurate, and I've had good support from them. When I look at what I spent to have my masthead portion rebuilt compared to a new quality instrument, I feel I did the right thing. I have picked up spares, like you, and really enjoy nice vintage round instruments. I think a bunch of square LCD displays would be completely out of place on the Independence 31.