• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

questions

CSMcKillip

I spent a couple of nights on our boat this week with my wife and our 7 yr old son. I have some questions about different items. I will also do a search but for the life of me never get the direct results from the search engine on this site.

Light bulbs, i need them for the nav. Table - the small adjustable fixture and the track type fixture. All of my other lights inside work great.

Is there a bayonet type bulb that is led, ie, direct replacment.

Head, it seems that the small plastic threaded top on our head pump has split, its a Wilcox head Mate, the head is in good shape, but everytime you pump you get a small amount of outflow from the split, my son thinks its fun....

Water pump, i have a small leak and will need to replace both the oil side and water side gaskets, can this be done? Or should i rebuild it.

Water heater, was removed from the water system but still looks good from the outside, how can i check the inside of tge tank and the heating element. Next question is if tge motor is running will i still get hot water from the exchanger, is this tank water or from the seacock.

Thanks,

CSMcKillip

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

And the fuse holder is missing on my shower sump pump

Rule fuse,

IMAG0101.jpg

CSMcKillip

Another One

:egrin: Just thinking out loud to myself, I was looking at the Wilcox head photo and it looks like there is a crack in the pump case, not just the top nut? Gotta check this because I usally leave the seacock open to this line, and it may be the mistery leak I have been looking for the last month. I do leave the head in the closed PUMP DRY....

If the case is cracked and attached to the thruhull I could be letting lake water into the boat, and for that matter its under the water line and if it really cracks could sink the boat............:esad: Back into the car to check this out. Am I correct in my thinking here:confused:

I know there have been several people that have changed from the Wilcox unit, is there a direct replacment, I read that the CPII pump assembly will attach were mine is broken.

Sorry for so many questions.:cartmann:

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Chris, that looks like a very old WC HM. We've had three or four in the past 12 years, but they stopped making them last year. The "best" replacement is the Raritan PHC or PHII depending on the space you have. If you want to keep the old one going, epoxy the space and slip a hose clamp around it, but I'll bet your joker valve and seals are gone on the WC HM. It was a great head, reasonably priced, much better than just "in between" the Raritan and the horrible Groco and Jabsco heads.

You can get a good price on the Raritan PH models and others at www.sailboatowners.com. Also check out the Expert Forum for head and water system device on that website.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
LED lights

If you look very carefully on the website, and measure your existing bulbs and fixtures very carefully, you can probably replace almost every bulb on your boat with an LED from this website:
http://www.ledlight.com/

They do not have good LED substitutes for navigation lights but there is almost certainly a solution for the bulb you're holding in your hand as well as the one in the brass fixture. On my boat, one like the former was an indicator light in my DC panel that hasn't worked since I bought my boat in 1991. The LED like the latter in my large brass fixtures doesn't even move the needle on my voltmeter when I turn it on. The incandescent bulb it replaced had drawn either 25 or 40W and most definitely moved the needle.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'll agree with Stu, but you would want to check prices at the other discount sources, too. The prices vary, as do shipping & taxes.

jarnold67

Member II
Replacement Head

I had the same WC HeadMate toilet on our E26. It was nice that overhaul kits were available and the rebuilding the seals isn't that difficult to do. However, when I replaced the sanitation hose, I cracked the pump housing near the flange connection.

I couldn't get a replacement housing for a reasonable price (best I could fiind was $50 less than a new head), so I replaced it with the Raritan Compact II. The CPII has plastic where the HeadMate had metal, but it seems sturdy enough for the price. It is about the same footprint, so fitting it into the cramped quarters wasn't a problem. The flange connections are different, however, so new holes will need to be drilled to mount the head.

So far, so good with the new head. Of course, since it was installed this spring, I haven't had to overhaul it, yet.

I'd offer to send you the parts from the WC, but when I brought it home, the Admiral informed me that with that smell, I wasn't salvaging anything. :p

CSMcKillip

Thanks, but its my pump housing that is cracked also, i will try the epoxy and clamp first, then new head. It works great so the seals are good, just spits water....