• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water in the keel E 35-2

Commotion

Member II
I bought this E 35-2 in the yard and while we were stripping the bottom paint off for barrier coat, we found water leaking out of the trailing edge of the keel. It tasted like salt water (yuck) and for the most part was pretty clear. It just kept coming, so I drilled a 1/4" hole... Ended up drilling a 2.5" hole through the side of the lowest point and one each on port and starboard of up toward the bow where it is still hollow. Drained all the water (guess about 15 to 20 gallons)

To dry it out, I tented the keel, attached a power supply fan to the port side hole to pull the air and put a radiant oil filled heater in the tent. I let that run for about two weeks. Nothing showed on the moisture meter, so I closed up the holes. Getting ready to apply three gallons of barrier coat.

The local boat yard said this is common and not to worry about it. But, I'm not a very good listener when it comes to not worrying. I realize it is very difficult to isolate the source, however, I am concerned that it could be coming in the tube for the drive shaft or perhaps from the bilge. I think I can seal the shaft tube well with barrier coat, but, doubt I can do much good in coating the bilge.

Are there keel bolts in this that I need to be concerned about?

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated?

Rick

Attachments

• Water in the keel 001.jpg
    Water in the keel 001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Water in the keel 002.jpg
    Water in the keel 002.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 86

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No "keel bolts" due to that model having internal ballast.
Did you find any place where there was evidence of a past grounding that might have caused a small crack in the glass lay up at the bottom of the keel?

And, is the bottom of the keel cavity sealed from the top inside?
(Some boats like the classic Cal 34's have internal ballast and quite a space behind the ballast where the bilge access goes all the way down to the bottom of the inside of the keel cavity. Those Cal's then put a bilge pump on a 4' long board and lower it down to the bottom.)

LB

Commotion

Member II
Thanks Loren,

No evidence of grounding. Don't see any cracks above or below the keel.
I'm currently thinking... if the water started leaking out from a light brush of the sander on the trailing edge of the keel, that's a likely place the water entered.

The bilge under the cabin floor appears to be solid above the keel. Can't see (or feel) anywhere that could have access to the keel cavity...

Would love to have seen this assembly of the hull and keel. That is 5K of lead sandwiched between two halves of fiberglass?

If I spend so much effort to dry out, sand, grind, and fill the hull and barrier coat the bottom, it seems like water INSIDE the keel would be a very bad thing regarding osmotic blistering. Or does it not work that way?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
While the boat is on the hard, pour a few gallons into the sump, and see if it filters down to the bottom of the keel and runs out...
:confused:

unequaltee

Member II
Water in the keel

If you discover the water is coming from within, an area that might be worth a look is the starboard engine mount. This sits right on top of the lead. On my 72 E35-2 the mounts were totally rusted and bursting out from the glass matt. in grinding out the glass that retained them I was surprised to find out just how close they are to the top of the lead. Having removed the floor in that area, for me it was just a case of a clean up, priming and glassing back over. It could be a way in for your water.
Ian

Captain Crunch

Member II
Same Problem

I had the same problem on the same boat. What we did was fill the keel cavity with lots of poly resin, then resealed the keel from inside the bilge. Took a while, but I think it cured the problem. We were concerned about the ballast being able to possibly move around inside the the keel cavity. Anyways good luck. C.C.