• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bulkhead Opinions Wanted

jstark

Hi All,
I'm looking at a '75 E35-II. I've been reading about the chainplate leakage and bulkhead problems all over the web. On my second look at the boat I was able to get some pictures of the mounting on the main bulkhead. It looks like the mounts have been glassed over, but I'm not sure if this was a good repair, etc.
I've attached some pictures of the points I'm referring to. Just looking for opinions on if I should just pass or if its worth a survey.

Thanks for your input and expertise!

Here is the view inside the cabinet above the sink in the head:

R9KL4.jpg

Below head sink:

uTOwA.jpg

Below head sink shelf removed:

36gQE.jpg

Port settee storage looking forward:

TqMOW.jpg

Starboard settee forward and up from foot hole:

9Qmn4.jpg

Starboard settee hole above foot compartment

22U9W.jpg

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I'm not a surveyor but have dealt with this issue on two of my 32's bulkheads.

Your bottom pictures look like the original installation to me.

The top two pictures look like the bulkhead rotted and someone spliced in a lot of fiberglass. What does it look like on the other side of the top picture? It's tough to tell though what's underneath that glass and the joint to the hull is covered up with contact paper. Did they dig out the rot and scarf in a new piece of material (which is an acceptable repair, in my unqualified opinion)...or did they just glass over the rot? (problem)

I'm guessing those extra washers and nut are clamping some kind of a vent hose in place? Interesting idea.

jstark

On the rear port side of that main bulkhead, there is a cover over the area that is screwed in place with wood plugs in the trim, so I can't get in there to check it out.

I think the extra washers are for a ground wire, there appears to be the same thing on the starboard side where I can see the exposed end of the wire on the nut.

I probed the wood around the fiberglass where I could reach with a small pick and all seemed solid.

So, if done correctly (which we really will never know) the fiberglass is a good repair?

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
The short answer is Yes that is pretty much what a proper repair will look like finished. The problem is what is underneath. As you say we may never know. The best way is to look as closely and as far as you can at that repair... like under the fabric in the cabinet for how well all is bonding etc. The other big give away is in the rest of the boat. If all the other projects that have surely been done through the years show meticulous attention to detail and "money is no object when it comes to my baby" then you can relax. If you on the other hand see things like one wire spliced 7 times with 4 sizes of wire and some if them look like speaker wire or a recycled extension cord... BE AFRAID, VERY AFRAID! The same guy most likely did all the work, or at least demanded the same quality for his money. Good luck, I hope this is the boat for you, but remember there are others out there. My 35-2 has had the same repair and most have so don't let that slow you down as if done right it is far better than new. But also remember that if well taken care of it should show as well as a boat ten years old, and as well as the crap some are trying to pedal at boat shows thees days! But always LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN! Edd:egrin: