• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Drains

Emerald

Yes, they are supposed to be criss-crossed as this will reduce back flow when heeled way over. Unless you are doing offshore work, I would just stay with the original layout and design.

Glyn Judson

Crossed drain hoses and larger seacocks.

Dear friend, To add to what David just shared, I increased the single cockpit scupper drain seacock that two drain hoses fed into from 1 2.5" to 1.5" and added a second 1.5" seacock while I was at it. The hoses I had at the time weren't long enough to crisscross so I left them port to port and starboard to starboard. I might add that prior to my adding the second 1.5" seacock, both hoses led to the smaller 1.25" seacock. Anyway, something interesting resulted. Now when on a particular point of sail with the boat heeled to one side or another to say, 20+ degrees, there's a much greater tendency for water to back flow through the grate and into the cockpit to larger degree than the old way. I'm not talking a flood of water but enough to clearly note a greater amount than before. Crisscrossing the hoses is something I have on my To Do list, it's just getting around to it that's stopping me. It would be nice not to have soggy Genoa sheets and wet shoe soles once again though. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Commotion

Member II
Thanks...

Thank you both. I will follow your advice. The configuration from the PO did not have the hoses crisscrossed. I am planning on this being a blue-water boat and the same friend that told me to cross the hoses suggested an additional sea-cock & through hull for the back drains.