• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cheap (inexpensive...) Outboard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Any of you Vikings, especially you Florida guys n gals, ever heard of this company?
http://www.smalloutboardmotor.com/index.html
I ran across a link to them from another sailing site.

We would like to have a small OB for our inflatable dinghy some day, and are always on the lookout for a light weight engine.

Thanks,
Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Seaweed Whacker"

Wow those are cheap. Alas we are not allowed to buy 2 strokes in Cali anymore. They remind me of a 2 hp a old friend of mine used to own. He called it his "Seaweed Whacker".

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thats just a weedwacker powerhead attached to a light duty lower unit. Nice and cheap but not likely long-lived in saltwater. JMHO. I picked up a Yamaha 2.5hp outboard at the end of last season for $700.00 at my local dealer. End of season I basically paid what he paid for it as he just wanted it gone for the winter. Runs great, its a real outboard, 37lbs, from a respected manufacturer. Tough to beat.

RT

Akavishon

Member III
I have a little 2hp Honda (4 stroke, reliable, very light weight, rea$onable), but it won't last - components are not corrision resistant (e.g. fasteners are not stainless). Wouldn't buy it again - have little understanding why a renowned manufacturer would skimp on something like that.

Ran into these guys (Hidea) at the recent Newport boat show, they advertised rugged, all-stainless components, and the price was hard to beat (<$600 boat show special).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Im not so sure about ever getting parts for it down the road.

I think you have just identified the problem...
(Like a friend of mine recently bragging about the new scooter he just bought for half the price (!) of a Honda, with no brand name... from somewhere in China.)
It comes with a 30 day warranty. :(

Um, What dealer network? :rolleyes:

Last edited: