• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 30+ Purchase Decision

psanburn

Member II
It's 3:00 in the morning and later today I'll make the decision whether to buy a 1984 30+ or not. I'm looking for last minute insight from the aggregate experience of all of you that will weigh heavily on my decision. I have a couple of questions.

Overall the boat seems very clean and in great shape, that's from my observations and from people who know the boat, but...

A visit yesterday after heavy rains revealed a leak adjacent to the aft port light that caused dampness in the settee cushion and a small leak from a corner of the large hatch over the table. I'm not afraid of repairing the leaks, but how much should my purchase decision be burdened by this discovery? Repair suggestions from resitting to polysulfide are appreciated.

What kind of sailing characteristics should I realistically expect? I like to sail hard into the window with the rail in the water, my wife likes a gentle sail. I suspect the 30+ will be accommodating on both fronts. Can anyone add color to this?

Will a thorough inside survey and underwater survey offer similar qualitative information on the bottom and through-hulls that pulling the boat out would? I fully realize they are different, but wonder if I can avoid the haul-out costs.

Any other words of warning or encouragement?

I am very excited about the possibilities of owning this particular 30+, but as a fair warning, if I do, I will be active in this forum asking pesky questions.

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts in helping me become an Ericson sailer.

Peter S

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Portlight leak common; lots of info here about it.

If hatch has outside hinges that bolt through lens, probably original Lewmar Super Hatch, now Ocean series. Replacement parts probably no longer available from Select Plastics. Doubt gasket leaking due to rain; water would have to get up under metal rim first. May be hinge leaking through lens, hatch needs rebedding or, possibly, metal mating surface for gasket is corroded. Could recondition gasket with ArmorAll or something if intact. Ocean Hatch replacement runs about $750 for the Ocean 70.

You can sail this boat as hard as you or the rigging can stand.

Out of water survey will give idea of possible blistering, cutless bearing condition, keel joint condition, bottom paint condition and possible rudder bushing play; in water survey won't.

Bottom job and some reconditioning could run over $2,500 if you don't do it yourself.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Peter -

If you're paying for the boat with a boat loan, I think a haul out will be required. Besides - nothing beats seeing the bottom of a boat you're considering buying. It will give you lots of insight into how the boat has been treated and what potential issues you might be facing later on.

As for the leaks - leaks happen on older boats. The bedding material/caulking/gaskets used drys and cracks over time, and leaks begin. If you like the boat and the rest of it is sound, I would not let this stop me. Be warned however (and most owners will back me up on this): owning a boat takes lots of time in maintenance - someone once quoted me the number of work:sail as 10:1 - depending on the age and condition of your particular boat.

I assume you've done your homework on this boat and buying used sailboats in general. If not, I would be careful and very cautious, as the image of one sailing in clear weather is pretty powerful - and it moves lots of people to open their wallets when they otherwise shouldn't.

Aside from those warnings, however - owning a boat is a wonderful thing - and you will have experiences you cannot get any other way (not from chartering, not from crewing). Questions on this board are not 'pesky' - they're expected - and looked forward to - and appreciated. It's why this site is here...

Good luck with the purchase! :egrin:

//sse

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Peter -

If you're paying for the boat with a boat loan, I think a haul out will be required. Besides - nothing beats seeing the bottom of a boat you're considering buying. It will give you lots of insight into how the boat has been treated and what potential issues you might be facing later on.

As for the leaks - leaks happen on older boats. The bedding material/caulking/gaskets used drys and cracks over time, and leaks begin. If you like the boat and the rest of it is sound, I would not let this stop me. Be warned however (and most owners will back me up on this): owning a boat takes lots of time in maintenance - someone once quoted me the number of work:sail as 10:1 - depending on the age and condition of your particular boat.

I assume you've done your homework on this boat and buying used sailboats in general. If not, I would be careful and very cautious, as the image of one sailing in clear weather is pretty powerful - and it moves lots of people to open their wallets when they otherwise shouldn't.

Aside from those warnings, however - owning a boat is a wonderful thing - and you will have experiences you cannot get any other way (not from chartering, not from crewing). Questions on this board are not 'pesky' - they're expected - and looked forward to - and appreciated. It's why this site is here...

Good luck with the purchase! :egrin:

//sse

Hi I don't know if this is a done deal or not , but the previous owner should go for a haul out, you pay if you don"t buy he pays if you but , that goes the same for the survey. The E 30+ is a most comfortable and forgivin boat.
reduce sail when going to windward in winds 16 MPH or better even with a 135 genoa. I cruise with a 150 genny but I have owned my 30+ for over 14 years. With my wife and in a cruising mode I often sail with the genny only as does a cruising buddy of mine who owns a 28+ these boats both handle similarily and cruise at about the same speed. The Ericson web site3 has lots of right answers. With a Ericson 30+ as the add says "First Home COMFORTABLY" Chas and Judi sv Eden 1986 Ericson 30+ # 720