• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32 rainwater leak- rubrail? headsail track?

mduryee

I'm trying to stop up a rainwater leak into the galley storage area on my 1976 E-32.
I've rebedded the stanchions in the area and the only culprits left (that I can see) are the outboard headsail track and the rub rail.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

First: I don't see any signs of the sail track being thru-bolted. Can these tracks leak? How does one get the screws out?<O:p</O:p

Second:<O:p</O:p
The rub rail on this boat is teak, which I'm told was not original equipment. It appears to be attached with stainless wood screws and plugged. Some of the screws protrude (slightly)thru the glass on the inside, and the rail (and sealant along the top edge) is pulled away slightly from the hull in the leaking area. Ideas? What type of sealant would one use in this case?

Thanks!<O:p</O:p
Mike :confused:<O:p</O:p

u079721

Contributing Partner
+1 on suspecting the after market rub rail with its screws penetrating the hull. But I would advise using caulk rather than butyl tape, since my impression is that butyl tape really needs a strong pressure from through-bolting to work well. And in this case all you have is marginal pressure from the screws holding the rail in place.

ChrisS

Member III
You won't be able to unscrew the genoa track, as it's bolted and the nuts are fiberglassed in place. Maybe you'll be able to get the bolts out, but you'll never get them in!

I had the same concern on my boat, so I used a $12 product called "Captain Trolly's Creeping Crack Cure." Clean the surfaces well, and follow the directions. I just kept filling the circumferences of the screw heads where they meet the face of the track. Some of these areas took a lot of this product, and then stopped taking it, which means the leaks were plugged.

I also used this stuff to stop a leak between the binnacle and aft bridgedeck. Every fall before the rainy season, I do one more application to these places, and now, even in a big ole winter storm I get about 1 oz of water in the bilge. I thought it would be a band-aid fix, but it's held up fine.