Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Built (?) Hard Dodger

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Different Boat, but a nice dodger

Here are some photos of the custom molded frp dodger on the Jason 35 that I recently helped deliver. This is unusual in that the windows are safety glass. It was great to have clear vision forward all the time! The construction is balsa cored, IIRC.
    The dodger is held down on a gasket with several ss bolts. It is removable but I doubt that it will be unless it or the boat needs refinishing someday. The owner just finished single handing for two months this summer in the islands near the BC coast. He likes the protection it provides.

Not an Ericson, but a nice example of a professional-quality dodger.

LB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jason35 Hard Dodger starb.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	7297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaspn35HardDodger.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	7298  
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Finally getting closer to this (big) project, and it might help to bump this thread to bring it to the attention of newer site members.

Thanks.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been thinking that way too - we've had day after day after day of 30 knot plus winds and it's just not that much fun when there's so much spray coming off the bow that you can't see. Or open your mouth. Or maybe I'm getting too old for that kind of fun.

Still thinking and sketching and collecting photos... Although one day when I had the truck in Portland, I bought enough marine plywood to do the job, and a few more. I was thinking 3/8 plywood core skinned with fiberglass.

One of the Dashew books offers a set of design principles for dodgers. I think it's in the "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia." I'm not sure that all of their ideas scale well to a 30-foot boat though. Probably best to go there for inspiration, rather than my mis-interpretation. But anyway...

The ones that I'm juggling:
    1. Height at back of dodger = elevation of my nose when standing in the cockpit with bare feet. So I can stand up with the tiller in my hand and see over the dodger. (Sorry, all you guys stuck behind the wheel in the back of the cockpit...)

2. Rake the top down a bit forward
    3. Try to match angles of the existing boat structure

4. Cover a shoulder-width seating zone in the cockpit. (Dashews say 2x shoulder width!) Not sure this is going to work, hence I am thinking (even farther in the future) of a removable piece of canvas to do this and a bit more when needed. (I note from his blog photos that this is pretty much what Kjell Stave did when he got his E29 to the South Pacific - though it looks like he cobbled it up with driftwood and a tarp! I guess you do what you gotta do.)

5. Top straight or curved? Curved as per the deck house would look better but might make the project just that much harder that I would never do it. And if one is thinking of putting flat solar panels on top, the curve would be hidden anyway. Of course, there are flexible solar panels... Probably going with two straight panels in an 11-degree peak, which approximates the cabin top and is what I did with the hatch, and is strong enough for a gorilla to jump up and down on it.

6. Overhang/eave or no overhang?

7. Opening windows or fixed? Currently thinking of one rectangular opening window in the middle and the others fixed - if only because the way I've drawn it (so far) it would be easier to build that way.

Anyway, I've made a variety of crude sketches, but keep coming back to something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodger.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	24662

I guess it's time to break out the sticks and cardboard and try some mock-ups in three dimensions. If the wind ever calms down enough...
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Blog Entries
    Regarding the height of a hard dodger, I would like to report on a strange phenomenon.

Back in the day, we campaigned a Newick Native trimaran with no sliding hatch at all. We swung in and out of the cabin like monkeys. It sounds awful but nobody minded, even wives on a day sail. It was pretty counterintuitive.

In my current use of umbrella as bimini, I keep sawing more off the pole. You can't stand up under it. You have to slide under. But nobody complains. They feel snug. And of course the shade is always where it ought to be.

Herreschoff said, sitting headroom is fine and standing headroom is fine. What isn't fine is anything in between.

Possibly this could enter into design thinking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no hatchCapture.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	24664
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 07-01-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    "Alone Together--the Book" trailer here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Blog Entries
    Guy builds hard dodger. Some endurance is required to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNUowUE1uE
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    "Alone Together--the Book" trailer here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Contributing Member III

Talking soft dodger conversoion

In the current issue of good old boat there is a terrific description of how to convert a soft dodger into a hard one

Our 38 with a wave stopper hard dodger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Or more accurately hard top. Rest canvas and clear plastic with option to remove in sections

Doug