• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Home Built (?) Hard Dodger

jsnaulty

Member II
soft dodger conversoion

In the current issue of good old boat there is a terrific description of how to convert a soft dodger into a hard one

llenrow

Member II
Our 38 with a wave stopper hard dodger

Attachments

• 05BAFF28-EAEA-4B51-8C8C-21BD0B2F48F1.jpg
    05BAFF28-EAEA-4B51-8C8C-21BD0B2F48F1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 160

Second Star

Member III
Home built hard top

I built a new fabric dodger using a kit from Sailrite a few years ago. They have a very neat way of patterning that is covered in a video from their site. The same method was used by a club member to make a hard dodger. he used foam board that has cardboard backs normally used for making presentations or displays. This was inexpensive and bended in a way similar to the material he ultimately used for the final product (an FRP sheet). The initial shape was roughed in using strips of wood and spring clamps that he adjusted until he was happy with the profile and fore-aft shape, then he bent the foam core onto it using tape to temp hold the sheets to each other. He kept playing with the shape and fit until he was happy then made an intrim copy out of new foam board in the same way he would make the final product, using gorilla tape instead of glass tape and resin. This "proved" his design and exposed any production problems. His final is pretty good (not quite to my taste for shape) and fits very well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time for a little thread bump. We had to remove our soft dodger after the initial full season because it was too tall and the boom hits it when close hauled. The bimini is staying, tho. Shelter for the driver is very nice to have.
I am still considering the alternatives. And in the future will pay a lot... more attention to my short answer when a tradesman asks me if the work is acceptable.
Anyhow, more thoughts on this subject are welcome.

llenrow

Member II
Not home made but works well— called a Wave Rider.
Doug

Attachments

• B86128BD-208A-4AAD-8E32-51A0193996B5.jpeg
    B86128BD-208A-4AAD-8E32-51A0193996B5.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 37

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Not a current project, but something I have been sketching on and thinking about for several years.
I just did a coastal delivery on a Jason 35 with a nice frp dodger with glass windows. The visibility forward and the general strength was wonderful.
Since our our '95 vintage small dodger is nearing the end of the cloth & window life, we are thinking about a full size one next time around.

Anyone here ever made their own up or had one made?

I am envisioning something in light weight cored frp with acrylic or glass windows. The design would have to complement the look of the cabin angles and general shape. At least enough to blend in. I have seen quite a few dodgers that looked quite out-of-place on other sailboats.
Getting the balance right between function and style is tricky. In a "soft" dodger some of the best work I've seen is from a fellow up in Seattle.
http://www.iversonsdesign.com/index.html
While I might prefer a solid top, his cloth tops do show a lot of design background and experience.

Anyone with experiences and photos, feel free to add 'em.
:cool:

Thanks,
Loren

edit: I have not found much on this subject on the web, but did find a couple of threads.
http://www.morganscloud.com/2008/06/20/homebuilt-hard-dodger/
http://marshalldesign.blogspot.com/2007/04/hard-dodger-test.html
Hey Loren, There is a really nice O34 close to my boat that has a hard dodger over the companion way. I can get pictures if you like. Also, He modified his engine control panel making it a lot more visible from the helm. I know the owner in passing. He is a singlehander and a bit of a loner but seems friendly. The boat also has an added bow sprit.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey Loren, There is a really nice O34 close to my boat that has a hard dodger over the companion way. I can get pictures if you like. Also, He modified his engine control panel making it a lot more visible from the helm. I know the owner in passing. He is a singlehander and a bit of a loner but seems friendly. The boat also has an added bow sprit.
All photos very welcomed!
You can send them directly if you wish, altho some other owners here may be interested, too.
Sailaway10@comcast..net
Thanks again.
Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If possible or convenient, just curious if it's possible to get some pix of that boat. Thanks again!

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Sorry Loren! It has been some time and i never addressed this. I looked at the boat and what I thought was a hard dodger was actually soft and only covered the companion way. More a sea hood I think. I do have a friend that made his own hard dodger top using his existing dodger frame. He fabricated a cover made of 1/8" white polystyrene sheet using wire ties (thru two holes straddling the frame) and a heat gun to get the shape and fit he wanted. Then he replaced the wire ties with plastic clamps. I think he planned to sanded and paint but decided it looked good enough as finished. I was really surprised at the results for a little money, time, and craftsmanship. I will see if I can get pictures.