• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

BG 44K fuel addative

jag

A sailing friend recommended using BG 44K in my Universal Diesel fuel . He said he uses it in his Mercedes diesel and said it corrected a rough idle problem, keeps the fuel system and injectors clean. Any comments?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I used to be much more concerned about the quality of fuel but with the introduction of ULSD the product is much more uniform. The result is additives are not really needed on a regular basis. If you have some specific problem then running a detergent additive like LubroMoly Diesel Purge through the IP and injectors full strength will clean out lots of crap.

I still add antigel to my winter fuel for my terrestrial diesels for the simple fact that fuel is blended based on region and I don't really trust they get it right 100% of the time. A little antigel is insurance, but you don't likely need that in your boat.

The bottom line is no, you don't really need them with the new ULSD. If it makes you feel better then go for it. What a diesel really likes is to be run. Hard. Get it up to temp, then run it at 75% of max for an hour or so. If its a diesel that has seen only short runs it will thank you for it. Never seen a diesel that was worked have a problem, only the ones that sit too much.

RT

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Rob, a surveyor recently recommended I add a litre of engine oil to the diesel fuel. It wasn't to address any problem in my diesel engine, just "good practice" to quiet the valves and help keep everything lubricated. I haven't done this yet, as I didn't want to gum up the engine with extra oil in the fuel, but I'm not sure. I currently add a bit of Biobar algae stuff and Stanadyne, which seems to decrease the exhaust soot on the transom without any apparent ill effects. Any comments?

Frank

Emerald

Rob, a surveyor recently recommended I add a litre of engine oil to the diesel fuel. It wasn't to address any problem in my diesel engine, just "good practice" to quiet the valves and help keep everything lubricated. I haven't done this yet, as I didn't want to gum up the engine with extra oil in the fuel, but I'm not sure. I currently add a bit of Biobar algae stuff and Stanadyne, which seems to decrease the exhaust soot on the transom without any apparent ill effects. Any comments?

Frank

Marvel Mystery Oil is all you need to know ;)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I used to be a proponent of various additives to diesel fuel and it was to address real or perceived failings in fuel quality. My old GM 6.5TD pickup really like Stanadyne Performance Formula. It actually got better mileage with it. But this was pre-ULSD. I noted a wide variance in fuel quality, and it was usually indicated by the Cetane number at the pump. Lower Cetane, poorer performance. My old Mercedes doesn't seem to care what I put in the tank, some additives make her run quieter but there is no change in MPG.

I have put a wide range of stuff in the fuel tanks of my diesels over the years. Vegetable oil, used and new motor oil, ATF, transformer oil, kerosene and Jet A. It all ran through them, blended with regular diesel just fine, in the short term. I have also ran all kinds of additives as well. Some will say that additives are not worth it. Maybe, but I have never suffered a fuel related problem with any of my diesels, not even a cold gel problem. Is it the additives? Maybe.

I now feel adding stuff to diesel fuel that was NOT intended to be burned in a diesel engine may be a bad idea long term. Motor oil, ATF, etc. Why do that when specific additives exist? They are cheap enough given the fuel use of most sailboat owners.

The only "treatment" I know works for sure is LubroMoly Diesel Purge. I used this on the Mercedes and it noticeably improved idle smoothness and reduced smoking. But that is a one-time treatment affair.

I do admit to adding Howe's Lubricator Diesel Treat to the tank in the fall when I top her up for winter. Supposed to help keep the fuel fresh, remove some water, improve lubricity, lower gel point, etc. Since I only burn $50-$60 in fuel per year the cost is minimal. Does it work? I can't say it doesn't.... I also like Marvel Mystery Oil but I tend to use that in the power equipment fuel or anything that gets used infrequently or for pickling engines for winter.

RT

Last edited: