• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

second battery bank

admirals barge

Member III
hi all
i would like to put a second battery bank on my 74 35 II. where has everybody put there second bank. ???

thanks
greg
dalliance
74 35II # 325
wilmington,ca

tyrguy

Member II
Where O' Where

I have been thinking about a second bank as well and have been discouraged that all but 1 compartment has a thru hull in it, or is full of plumbing/non-movable stuff. I would like to put one under the starboard settee just need to figure out how to make it fit away from the thru hulls safely. Then need to decide on which type of battery and how big.

selous

Inactive Member
Doesn't the E29 have the batteries under the quarter berth like the E27 ?
My boat has loads of room to build another box next to the existing one in that location. If not you could always relocate a through hull to a more convenient location.Of course that would mean hauling the boat but the labor involved is easily accomplished in a few hours.

steven

Sustaining Member
Greg,

I have an E35II. Two batteries in starb. lazzerette - 1 for bank #1; and 1 for bank #2. Another battery under the port settee wired into bank #2 in parallel by FO. But I have disconnected it - the wire run is too long. There is room under the quarterberth and I'll probably move it there and reconnect it at some point.

--Steve

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I added a second battery in the quarter berth battery box. There is room for two additional batteries under the access at the base of the companionway ladder in the shallow bilge. The bilge area would be a risk of flooding the battery without an automatic bilge pump.

robjpowell

Member II
On our E35-2 the sole battery was in a fg tray under the quarter berth. When we got her we ground out the sides of that tray and now have 3 batteries in the space. We couldn't fit golf cart ones (~1/4" too high!) but we do have a single group 24 starting (stern most, runs along centerline) on bank 1 and 2 group 27's on bank 2 (one is forward of the starting and also runs along the centerline the other is forward most in the locker and runs athwartships). While they are no longer in a box they are all held down with straps. It is a tight fit and the cables do need to be attached to the forward and rear most batteries before they are slipped into place. Not ideal but so far it has worked for us.

Rob

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When considering locations for that new battery, note that you can always epoxy in a new battery box with some quarter inch ply, cloth, and some angle-grinding prep work....
I did that to add a start battery to our boat.

If you are short of height, note that one side can rest on the hull, just barely, and the box bottom epoxied in right up to that point.
It's not too hard, and you can always change/modify the box with a grinder if you have to.
I always make a good mock-up first in light ply or door skin material to get the fit perfect.

LB

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
my 70 e35-2 came to me without a holding tank and I am not sure where it was supposed to go. But my batteries were under the port settee against the bulkhead and inboard. I had 2 24s there but with a bit of work managed to squeeze in 4 group 31s! The charger and inverter and mecerator/ holding tank plumbing fill the port-most (outboard) well.That is also where the thru hull for the knot meter is located. And the well along the port hull under the settee now has the holding tank. I also installed a 4 gallon slimline water heater into the space behind the settee back just forward of the nav station. That leaves me with one large empty section alongside the engine and empty sections under the quarter berth and starboard settee. Well they aren't really empty, they are just not filled with equipment, but if you have a boat you already knew that! :egrin:Edd

Last edited: