• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at 1984 30+

psanburn

Member II
I currently own a San Juan 24 and am looking to step up to an Ericson 30+ 1984. I will be looking at the boat tomorrow and hope to go out for a sail. Does anyone have advice on what to look out for, what rocks to turn over.
Also, any strong opinions on an 1984 30+. Sailing performance, comfort, maintenance issues etc.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
I hope to be an active member on this site and hope to become an Ericson owner.

Peter S
Bayview, ID

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of the old timers on another large sailing forum has a detailed thread on how to inspect a boat you are shopping.
I realize that on this site you are looking/hoping for very Ericson-specific items for your check list, and you probably know all the usual inspection items already.
:nerd:
Still....
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48177-boat-inspection-trip-tips.html

Actually, a lot of the important stuff to look at is going to be the same on any boat over twenty years old. The good news is that Ericson glassed the hull and deck together inside, so that's one biggie off your plate.

I remember being overwhelmed by all the systems and just the overall size & complexity of the boat in general when we found our Olson 34. Previous boat was 26 feet with an OB aux. engine. We had a referral to a crackerjack surveyor and in turn he helped source a great mechanic that did the engine survey on the diesel. Both guys saved us more than the cost of their fees. :rolleyes:

Happy shopping,
Loren

ps: we raced and cruised a Ranger 20 in the late 70's, and recall that one trailered over from Bayview for a nationals here. Small world!

Last edited:

DavidWms

Member II
E30+ comments

I'm also looking at an #30+. In another thread here, one of the forum members made these comments that got my juicies flowing about his E30+:

<TABLE class=tborder id=post61261 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_61261 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fffffb 1px solid">If you can do a 30+ you will have a boat you can own for years. We have had Regulus for almoat 6 years now and could not be happier. As Jeff stated, Regulus has a great huge mainsail. Advantage is Regulus sails really well under main alone. Quite often when "she who does not sail" is aboard we just cruise around like a catboat under main alone. We have put the rail in the water many times and Regulus is always under complete control. We have normal afternoon winds of 20+ knots or more on the nose and Regulus handles them easily. PHRF is around 168, so she is quick and points quite well. Also Jeff pointed out, in light air not many boats can stay anywhere near us. All the berths are good sized, I am 6'2" and 240# and can sleep anywhere on the boat. We looked at a 25+ recently and the v-berth was tiny, my 15 year old daughter was about a foot longer than the berth was.

Hope this helps
Greg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Greg, E30+, "Regulus II"
San Pedro, CA
<!-- / sig -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fffffb 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fffffb 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #fffffb 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fffffb 1px solid">
user_offline.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fffffb 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fffffb 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #fffffb 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fffffb 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

psanburn

Member II
E30+

Thank you for your comments and for pointing me towards the SailNet link with the inspection tips. A lot of great information that will make my trip out to see the boat more interesting and worthwhile. Otherwise - I look around somewhat wide-eyed. I expecially like the last line about getting my wifes input!!

I hope what I see supports my strong desires to own a E30+.

Wish me luck.

PeterS

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Best to luck to you Peter.
Even if you are the Captain, you still have to report to the Admiral!
Actually, when we were shopping for a larger boat, I would have settled for a 32 footer (matter of fact we had an offer rejected on an E-32-200, but the Admiral really preferred an Olson 34....
And so it went....
:cool:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Where to begin...

On my '85 the chain plates come up through the deck next to the cabin. If the '84 is like that and has the "U" bolts coming through the deck, I would look at those closely to see if they are pulling up and for any cracks. Also check the shroud turnbuckles while you're there for cracks in the swage fittings. I think the original turnbuckles were the Navtec style with dual turnbuckles and a screw/bolt connecting the two. At some point Navtec replaced the original stainless screw with a bronze screw, to prevent galling I believe. Check the swage fittings on the backstay as well.

Behind the seat back cushions in the saloon are several inspection port covers that can be removed to check the chainplate to hull connection. If the zippers in the headliner under the side decks still work you could open those and maybe get a look at the chainplate connection under the deck and a couple of the stanchion bases. Also check the bolts and plates that you'll find on the port side bulkhead between the saloon and head for signs of water intrusion and rot.

You might also check for any signs of leaking around the portlights, but that may not be unusual in a boat of that age. Mine gets a small drip now and then from the front/starboard fixed port.

Check the condition of the shaft coupling/stuffing box/pedro hose and the back of the transmission. If the stuffing box has been dripping too much and the shaft has been slinging water around the shaft coupling may be rusted solid. Mine was and the pedro hose plys (plies?) were starting to separate and leak. (It may be hard to get in there if there is a water heater installed.) If you are able to, also take a look at the heat exchanger for signs of leaking at the end cap and the condition of the hoses and connections. If that H/E is like mine there is only one end cap and it is on the starboard end of the H/E.

Check the bilge for water and the condition of the keel bolts. There are two access hatches in the main cabin sole where you can see some of the keel bolts. There might be some surface rust, but I don't think they should be "caked up", at least not if the bilge has been kept relatively dry. There might also be a panel in the floor inside the locker under the aft-facing seat at the dinette table that can be removed to check the bilge at that point. There is at least one keel bolt that can be seen in there. If there is a lot of water in the bilge you have to wonder where that is coming from.

Check the winches to see if they turn freely and for excessive play. If they are clean and well lubricated you should be able to turn them easily with one hand just by grabbing the top and rotating with your fingers. If they are hard to turn they probably just need to be disassembled and cleaned. Grab the big winches with both hands and try to rock them back and forth; if there is a lot of play the bearings/shaft is getting worn. Not much you can do about that short of replacing, but one of my winches has a fair amount of play and it still works well.

Check as many of the through hull fittings as you can get to. They may have gate valves, which are not good and should be replaced. If they have bronze or Marelon ball valves check to see if they open and close freely. My boat has the Marelon valves and if they are not exercised occasionally they can become stiff and hard to turn. They should be lubricated occasionally as well. True seacocks mounted to backing plates on the hull are best, but I don't think any of these boats included them originally.

There are plenty of things to check. These are just a few that I have learned about having owned this boat. At some point, if you are seriously considering the boat, you'll want a good marine surveyor to take a look.

That link to the Sailnet article is good!

Last edited: