• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 - Masthead and Bow Light Questions

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Checked inside the headliner in the head and found the wires. They were pretty obvious so I must have seen them before and just forgot about it. There is no terminal strip, however, so the connector must be inside the mast as mentioned.

Jim Mobley

Member II
As Frank mentioned the connector is above the deck, inside the mast. On my boat it was multiple crimped on quick release fittings like you'd find on a U-Haul trailer.

I replaced them with a terminal strip and while we had the mast off the boat, the rigger added an access port to the bottom of the mast with a cover so that we could get to the connections without pulling the mast. The access port could be added with the mast in place, it's just a 2 in. diameter hole with a gasketed cover.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Was able to check the wiring to the mast inside the head headliner and I do have power to the foredeck circuit at least up to that point. I suspect now that it is the fixture itself on the mast and not the wiring.

Funny how you can pay someone to go up your mast to check the function of things and all they do is replace a bulb and not even test it to see if it is working...

Glyn Judson

Checking both sides of that circuit.

Mark, It sounds like you already have a multimeter so why not set it to ohms and place one probe across the hot lead to the light and the other to the ground wire returning from aloft? No continuity will indicate as you suspect, either a fixture failure or a burnt filament in the bulb. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Good idea. Should have thought of that when I checked the voltage...

The bulb should be good since it was replaced, but never worked. I guess the guy who did it didn't bother to check for power at the socket before he changed the bulb and obviously didn't bother to test it afterward.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mark,
In our case, the fixture had corroded a bit, but the connection at the bottom inside the mast had also corroded, so it required fixing both to get our steaming light working again. I thought that replacing the bulb and the removing corrosion at the fixture was enough, only to find that it still didn't work and required us to raise the mast to get to the connections inside the bottom of the mast, clean them up, before it worked properly.

Frank