• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Raw Water Pump Shaft Leak

adavid

Member II
I have an '86 E-28 with the M12 Universal. I replaced the impeller on the Oberdorfer raw water pump at the beginning of the summer, and had no problems. However, today I noticed a water leak coming from the seal where the pump mounts to the engine. I tried to tighten the 4 cap screws, but that did not help.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks,
Andy

bayhoss

Member III
Hi Andy, I had a very similar problem to you at the beginning of the summer. With the Sherwood pump if you see water coming out, then the seal is bad. This can cause sea water to be pumped directly into the engine - not a good thing. Check your oil to see if water has entered. (It will turn milky white to light grey) If not then you are just plain lucky - and I hope you are. Then, replace or rebuild your pump.

Best,
Frank

Last edited:

adavid

Member II
I am replacing the raw water pump with a new one tomorrow. The bolts securing the pump to the block are socket head cap screws. I want to replace these with new. Should I be using stainless steel or something else?

Thanks,
Andy

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
There is another current thread about frozen/broken water pump bolts and the discovery that the front of the engine block is actually aluminum. Turns out the front of my M-18 engine is also aluminum. Stainless is probably fine but you should probably use some Tef-Gel on the threads to prevent corrosion.

CSMcKillip

Stupid question, my water pump is dripping water from the small openings from what looks to be at the base of the pump where it attaches to the block? Does this make sence? I have a m25. I have not looked at the pump yet, but it is a small dripping that i do see coming from the base, there looks to be 4 small openings at the base, going around the mounts.

Do i need a new pump, or to rebuild it? Whats the process?

Thanks,