• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cleaning filter/screen on Facet fuel pump

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

A recent post here mentioned that the bolt on the bottom of the older cylindrical Facet fuel lift pump (model 574A) can be removed to get at a screen/filter that should be cleaned periodically. I have done a search, but can't find any details on how this is done.

Is this as simple as shutting off the fuel supply, undoing the bolt, twisting the bottom off the pump to find a screen inside? Are there any other parts in there that might fall out? Any other tricks to this process? Does the fuel system need to be bled to get air out afterwards, or will the fuel pump do this automatically? Is there any way to check the general health of the pump while I do this?

Thanks for any tips.

Frank

bayhoss

Member III
Frank, Is your pump after the seperator/filter or before it? I recently replaced my pump and took the old one apart to see what lives therein. The pump on mine is located after the seperator and after 24 years of being in the boat it was clean as a whistle. You may well not have to go to the trouble if it is after the seperator. If it is not, I would recommend relocating it.

Best,
Frank

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Frank,

Thanks for your reply. When I bought our 1984 boat five years ago there was no fuel filter other than the one on the Universal engine. I installed a Racor 12R which sits between the fuel tank and the electric fuel pump.

I monitor the Racor filter regularly, and after a year of motoring (about 100 hours) there are a few very small pin-head size dirt particles in the bowl, but otherwise the fuel is clean and no sign of water. I regulary add a biocide to the fuel tank to minimize algae, keep the fuel tank close to full to minimize condensation and add Stanadyne or Startron which I think helps the diesel fuel burn a bit cleaner (I see noticeably less soot on the transom).

The engine runs fine, with no sign that there is any blockage, but as I know the fuel pump filter hasn't been cleaned since I've owned the boat, and probably not by any previous owner, I thought it might be a good idea to ensure that it's clean.

But on the other hand, I'm a bit concerned that I might dislodge something or lose a part into the bilge--ie. if it aint broke, don't fix it. But, if it's easy to clean, I tend to want to make sure everything works the way it should.

I'm also still debating whether to replace it or not--it's 25 years old (about 1,000 engine hours on the engine), but it works fine. In reading on the web about fuel pumps, there are mixed reviews of various kinds of pumps with some people reporting failure of the new pumps. I understand that Facet-Purolator E models are recommended, but again I don't want to create a problem for myself where none exists at the moment.

I could buy a spare to carry on the boat, but as I don't know the measurements of the two fuel line fittings, I think I would have to remove the existing pump, take it to an auto parts store to find the right replacement and then reinstall either the new one or the old one--all a bit of a pain for something that still works fine. But I don't want to be caught with a suddenly failed fuel pump. Boat ownership isn't always easy....

Any further tips or advice appreciated.

Frank

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
The fittings that connect to the lines came with the replacement pump - so no worries there. If you like I will remove the base of my old pump and post a photo it so that you can see first hand what you will encounter.

Best,
Frank

Frank Langer

Thanks, Frank. I would really appreciate it if you could post a picture of what it looks like. Also, is it simply a matter of undoing the bolt at the bottom of the pump and twisting the bottom piece off? Does the fuel system need to be bled afterwards, or does the pump refill itself? What kind/model of replacement pump did you buy?

Thanks again for your help!

Frank

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I and the new owner of my35-3 tackled this on the delivery cruise when we found the engine was not performing properly. Yes, you remove the bolt and twist the bottom off. Much easier said than done. We had to remove the pump from the boat and put it in a vice and use a pipe wrench to twist the bottom cap off. The filter was extremely dirty with jelled gunk. The engine ran like new after that.

bayhoss

Member III
As promised

Frank, here's the picture that I refered to in the previous posting. It required some effort to remove the bottom cap. There is nothing to come out of the pump except the filter element (shown). The pump that I used to replace my existing is a Facet FEP 60SV. Around $100.00 at an auto parts store - works great.

Best,
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3,174