• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-35 MkII steering pedastal

Monty Beed

Member I
Does anyone know the make and model of the steering pedastal used on the E-35 MKII. I want to convert to hydraulic stering. If anyone has done this I could use any advise . Thanks!

Monty:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
99% chance that it's a Yacht Specialties/Merriman unit. Good product, and my '88 model has YS steering.
(By the late 80's Edson finally won the "wheel wars" over their YS rival for sail boats, and continues onward to this day.)

Since you phrased the question as though a change to hydraulics is a forgone conclusion, I (and maybe a few others here) would be interested in your reasons. Such a change would be unusual on your model boat, IMHO.

Sidebar: In my area most of the factory wheel-optioned Cascade 36's and 42's that were built in the 60's/70's went with hydraulics because they used a bulkhead wheel arrangement. As the years went by most had leakage problems. Quite a mess, as years went by. Matter of fact I've seldom seen a "dry" one.

This changeover will provide some interesting engineering challenge when you add an AP or a wind vane, also, unless you plan to drive either of these directly off the rudder post.

From the "Devil's Advocate" point of view, I admit to seeing some nicely done hydraulics on boat over 45 feet or so, using systems that could drive an anchor windlass too.
:nerd:
Regards,
LB

Last edited:

Monty Beed

Member I
Reason for change

The chain and cable method takes up a lot of space underneath and the various braces and mounts underneath is a mess. The mounts and braces are made out of steel and they are rusting, some of the mounts have split the fiberglass tabbing. I guess it could be rehabbed but I think a hydraulic system could be a cleaner installation. I am planning on a hydraulic autopilot. One problem is that the helm pumps are to large to install inside the helm and the external mounted helm pump does not look as clean and I am worried how the pump would hold up exposed to the elements. The ram should be an easy enough installation once the old mess is removed. I think any system that has leaks has got to be a poor istallation. If there is interest I will post pictures before, during, and after. :nerd:

unequaltee

Member II
Hydraulic or cable

I had considered fitting hydraulics to my 72 E35 for the same reasons. But all the pump units I could find would not fit in my YS Pedestal. As Time was more plentiful than hard cash, my (as yet untried) solution was to scrap what was left of the awful metal brackets and glass in some good quality 3/4" marine plywood around the quadrant, this is also attached to the cockpit sole and the rear bulkhead at the aft end of the port quarter berth. I have sat the ply on 1/2" of foam before glassing in to avoid causing any stress points.<O:p</O:p
I intend to use (when the bank balance has recovered a bit) a Raymarine type 1 linear drive autopilot, driving a new bracket in place of the "saddle" on the back of the quadrant from behind the bulkhead at the aft end of the port berth. An added advantage of this system is that I have a back up if there is any problems with the cable drive. I have yet to refit the pulleys and cable, If I was to do it again, I would not have made the box go as far aft, but originally on my boat for some strange reason, there was two pulleys on the starboard side.<O:p</O:p

Attachments

• rudder box compressed.jpg
    rudder box compressed.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 162