• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

engine on E-27

Anchises

I have an E-27 with an outboard engine on the transom. Originally the boat had an inboard. If I installed a diesel inboard, I wonder what effect the extra weight of the engine and drag of the prop would have on the speed and performance of the boat. Can I have some opinions?

Frank

PHRF usually allows a six seconds per mile hike in the numerical rating for an inboard. That's to allow for the addition drag and weight. Maintenance is another story altogether. Read the threads on the Ericson list having to do with oveheating, mufflers, alternators, corrosion, water pumps, clogged injectors, algae in the fuel and the like. After seeing all the stuff on the list, I am certain that an inboard is a luxury I cannot afford.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Weighty comments

As I remember, the original inboard for your model boat was an A-4 gas engine of around 30 hp. I watched a friend replace a bad A-4 with a one cylinder Yanmar and I sort of remember that the total weight was less. The little diesel was certainly a lot smaller! The engine compartment went from full to half empty!

Note that you help the boat also by taking a hundred pounds of weight off of the transom where it does undesirable things to the pitching momment... The weight of the new inboard diesel is low and forward -- a "good thing".

Prop drag is an issue only if you choose to have a fixed prop. For little money you could source a used folder, and for more $$ a two blade featherer. If you go with a fixed two blade you will lose about a half knot in light air, but OTOH you will really like having the prop deep under the water where it will not easily cavitate in a chop like the outboard could do. You will also grow to like having realistic alternator output to keep your batteries charged. If you already have a 4-stroke, you will see a slight gain in fuel mileage, and if you have a 2-stroke outboard you will be delighted in the gain in mileage and motoring range on windless days.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Gary and Terri

Frank, We have a E-27 with a Yanmar 1GM10 10hp and love it. You can carry on a conversation at a normal pitch underway in the cockpit. The prop is not cavitating in a chop and fuel consumption less than 1 qt per hour. It easily moves the boat. We normally run 80-85% throttle at 5.75mph WOT will get you 6.7mph no wind no current. The cost of parts are reasonable, we do all our own maint. We change oil & filter every 50 hrs fuel filters every 100 hrs, rebuild the water pump and zincs each spring. This runs less than $100 annually and you need to replace the exhaust elbow every 3-5 years (less than $100). It is very easy to care for. Change oil regularly feed it clean fuel and a deisel is very little trouble. It weighs less than 100lbs. and fits very easily. A brand new one is about $4500 if you can do the work yourself I think you would be pleased. If you have to have others do it well you will have to decide that for yourself. Good luck.
Gary and Terri
"TerriAnn"
E-27

Jim Baldwin

Member II
overboard with the inboard

I just installed a ten HP Vetus diesel in my E27 and now have a fold-up boarding ladder in the open transom. Sounds good right? But, I am not sure if I would do it again...

I now have the noise, heat and smell inside the boat. I also have a little oil or fuel floating in the bilge, (got to fix that). I now worry about fuel contamination, leaking hoses, water intake pump, seacock, water separater, the stuffing tube somehow unstuffing itself and a whole lot of other stuff that I have become aquainted with. (No, the stuffing tube is just fine but I can't get used to the idea of just a little wad of flax between me and the whole ocean).

I am also having a little trouble getting used to the steering in reverse... It seems there is none. The transom walks to port at slow speed while in reverse no matter what I do with the tiller. If I increase throttle and speed up the problem goes away. So... all I have to do is back out of the slip at full speed. I have been told this is a normal condition.

The boat lockers now have a good supply of engine and transmission oil along with some spare parts including an impellar kit, fuel filter, replacement water and fuel hoses and rags. And, let's not forget the mighty tool bag.

The truth is, this little diesel is just about as reliable as a good old farm tracter (and sounds about the same too). Gone are the days of just dropping the outboard off at the shop for a quick tune-up.

Jewel

Member II
overboard with the inboard

We have found that backing out of the slip is easier if you get moving in reverse and then shift into neutral about halfway out of the slip.

s/v Jewel E28+
:egrin:

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Thanks Jewel,

I'll try that. It was also suggested that I just walk the boat out of the slip and physically turn it while standing on the dock. I may also see if I can get a slip on the other side of the dock, that way, a turn to port will work for me.

I guess it's really not fair to epect the inboard to be anything like an outboard that can turn 90 degrees on itself.

I am sure I will come to apppreciate the very real advantages of my little deisel as time goes by.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I also have a 1973 E-27 with a Yanmar 1GM10 (same as Gary & Teri) but the horse power is only 8.3 hp. I believe the brand new ones are up to 9 hp now. They increased the bore. Check it out at http://www.yanmar.com/

I agree with every thing Gary and Teri said about the engine. I get the same speed as they do. If your cruising off shore I would not want an outboard in high seas. With the pitch and roll of the seas, the prop is more likely to come out of the water and your motor will over heat. Love my boat and love my Yanmar just as much. Wouldn't mind a two cylinder 2GM10 though.