• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Life Lines

Bob Cole

Member I
It's time to replace my lifelines. I'll be using 3/16 SS coated, and I plan to have JSI in St. Petersburg do them. I'll send my old lines in and reuse what hardware we can safely. Has anyone had any experience with JSI, hopefully they are a good rigger. Thanks for any feedback, or better recomendations. Sounds like it'll be about $600-700. Thanks.
Bob Cole
1987 E-34
Sundance

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Bob- I replaced my lifelines this spring and bought the new set from New JSI in St. Pete. The experience was totally positive.

JSI was $466 + shipping, almost $100 cheaper than Defender, and $300 cheaper than WM. All three bid the same Hayn Marine parts. As I remember, I received them in a few weeks, but I had told them delivery wasn't a real concern as winters up here can be endless. :)

One change I would make is to use swivel gate hardware rather than the screw together type. To avoid problems (I hope) I used copius amounts of red Loctite.

I did not replace any end fittings - turnbuckle bodies, pelican hooks, etc.

Make sure you mark the pieces as you remove them from your boat to make reassembly easy. I found that parts differed by as much as 7/8" from port to starboard.

CSMcKillip

I used new jsi for all of my halyards and running rigging in florida. I was so impressed with the rigging I went ahead and ordered all new interior cushions from them. JSI was close to a thousand dollars cheaper than a local cushion shop.

Jane at JSI did the new Catalina 445, and several benetoys. I got my kit last week to measure the interior, seems very professional.

Florida shop.

Mindscape

Member III
Rigging Only

I've used Rigging Only for a couple of sets of lifelines and been very happy. riggingonly.com. Good to work with and knowledgeable. I've got no affiliations etc with them, just been happy with the results.

Touchrain

Member III
Ditto for Rigging Only. I worked with them on replacing all of my standing rigging and most of the running. Great advice and good prices. Might be worth getting a bid.

Bob Cole

Member I
Thanks for the input. I've sent my old ones to JSI in Fl. and will post my results when I have the new ones.
Bob

Bob Cole

Member I
My new life lines from JSI in St. Pete arrived last week , 7th or 8th, I was traveling so not sure of the exact date. That's a little less than 3 weeks including shipping to me. For my E-34 the cost was $463.00 using my good hardware, but with a new pelican hook, 4 toggle jaws, single and double gate eyes and the normal studs. They look great, but will not be on the boat until spring as she's put away for the winter. Glenn Money said that the lengths were only 3/4 inch difference, port to s/b. I'm pleased and would recommend them and use them again. The price was better than I could find anywhere else including the diy kits.
Bob Cole

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Bob - Happy it worked out for you. The same experience that I had.

Just curious - Did you ask Rigging Only to bid? What was their quote?

Bob Cole

Member I
Tom,
I did not. I got a couple of bids from here in MI. which were higher, $100 to 200. JSI was consistent, our prices were within about $4 of each other on the same boat. Thanks to all for the feedback, it was very helpfull.
Bob